Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Bourbon Seminar in Ann Arbor, MI

This might be a good place to mention that we are going to give the Chuck Cowdery tour one more try. The new dates are October 15, 16, 17. That was just finalized today. More info to come.

P.S., it's more than $125.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Start pitching your pocket change in the ole fruit jar cuz it's been rescheduled for November.
    6 hours of info-tainment for a hundy and a quarter is a steal.
    Good Day Oscar-

Can you share more information? I did not see it listed on Filson site and was thinking about going to Chicago instead.

Their site is here for others- http://filsonhistorical.org/educatio...urbon-academy/

Best regards, Tony

Guru

I appreciate Chuck's explanation behind the cost structure and the business model, very helpful. I've attended several tastings around Atlanta that were hosted by the distillery, and typically you're in the $30-40 range (if dinner is included, $70ish). Those prices are outstanding values typically to try some decent whiskey, ranging from the daily pours to the top shelf. But the whiskey is "free" to the hosting establishment, and the talking points are all one-sided. Nothing wrong with that as long as you know what you're getting into; I tend to learn something from those by asking the right questions (or frankly, having friends who ask the right questions I wouldn't think to even ask!), but I think unfortunately most consumers don't differentiate between these different event types when looking at how to spend their time/money.

I hope the reschedule gets more traction. And the bikini suggestion . . . not a bad idea
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    And the bikini suggestion . . . not a bad idea
    WOW! ...From my own son, I expected a bit more discerning comment...
    I mean you have actually seen me in my bikini; and I remember how little you liked it when I interrupted your Saturday night date with that blonde to show it off. Just sayin'.....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Can you share more information?
    That's all Mike told me, just rescheduled for November 15.
    Maybe call Ravens Club.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    That's all Mike told me, just rescheduled for November 15.
    Maybe call Ravens Club.
    Thanks Oscar, that was the most important part the date. I will pencil it in and wait until there is a more official announcement.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

I will try to make it this time. Also gonna try and make the Chuck tour this time.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Sorry I have not been checking this earlier. It has been a busy time for me the last few weeks. Oscar is correct - I have talked with Jeff at the Raven's Club and we have rescheduled the event for November 15. They feel it will be better attended in the fall and Michigan is having an off week so there is no game to compete with that day. I hope to see some of you up there. I understand that some of you don't like the price, but that is the price that the Filson needs to get to have me make a trip to Ann Arbor. The money does go to support the Filson and its mission to collect, preserve and tell the stories of Kentucky, the Ohio River valley and the Upper South. We are a non-profit and money made from these events does a lot to support that mission. Thank you for those that will come and do so. Your support will help preserve Bourbon History in the centuries to come.
    Mike Veach

Connoisseur

November 15th???
    Did anyone take note that this is the Opening Day of Michigan's Rifle Deer Season?
    I suspect that many folls will be "up North" doing their traditional/family thing on that date.

The Voshole

Since I've been to one of Mike's seminars, I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

If you're looking for a high end whiskey tasting this isn't for you but you'd be missing out on an enjoyable and educational day. The whiskey choices Mike used did a great job of getting his points across on a variety of topics such as high rye vs low rye, rye vs wheat, the effects of different types of glassware, how various foods change what flavors you pickup in a bourbon, etc. Sure, they were everyday kind of bourbon's, but they're still good and did a fine job of getting his message through to the group.

Mike's knowledge on the history of bourbon is well known and it was fun to listen to as he shared some of that with us. I'm not usually a history buff kind of guy, but he held my interest the entire day. No matter how much you know about bourbon, I'm sure you'll learn and experience plenty of new things.

I'd recommend going if you have the time and money to do so.
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself