Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Disciple

Re: DryFly Straight Cask Wheat Whiskey

No one named Van Winkle made any whiskey.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    No one named Van Winkle made any whiskey.
    But, but, but...he's on the bottle!

No Dry Fly made any whiskey either. How does a fly get wet, anyhoo.....?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    But, but, but...he's on the bottle!

No Dry Fly made any whiskey either. How does a fly get wet, anyhoo.....?
    Typically it gets wet when you cast it into the river.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I've stopped by the Dry Fly distillery a few times and so far have really enjoyed their products. Their bourbon is ok, but the basic wheat whiskey and their CS wheat whiskey is where the shine. Oddly enough, and dont kill me for this, but I also really like their gin. Both my wife and I found it good enough to sip neat, lots of fun flavors going on there.

Guru

Gin is a natural for micros and an area where they can really shine.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I've stopped by the Dry Fly distillery a few times and so far have really enjoyed their products. Their bourbon is ok, but the basic wheat whiskey and their CS wheat whiskey is where the shine. Oddly enough, and dont kill me for this, but I also really like their gin. Both my wife and I found it good enough to sip neat, lots of fun flavors going on there.

We've got it similar with Berkshire Mountain Distillery in Massachusetts. Their bourbon tastes like bourbon, which is good, but their gin selection where they really seem to be selling, with lots of variety in their special releases, and is very, very good.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    We've got it similar with Berkshire Mountain Distillery in Massachusetts. Their bourbon tastes like bourbon, which is good, but their gin selection where they really seem to be selling, with lots of variety in their special releases, and is very, very good.
    I crap a lot on micro distillers bourbon offerings, as I think they pretty much all taste like...well...crap. However, I have had the Berkshire bourbon, and I agree with your statement that it does actually have a bourbon taste to it. It is maybe the only one...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I crap a lot on micro distillers bourbon offerings, as I think they pretty much all taste like...well...crap. However, I have had the Berkshire bourbon, and I agree with your statement that it does actually have a bourbon taste to it. It is maybe the only one...
    I have not had Berkshire bourbon, may have to change that, but the rye coming out of Woodinville Whiskey, craft distillery near Seattle, actually tastes like rye, which I really enjoyed. It's too expensive at $50 a bottle, but it is good. On the other hand, their first release of straight bourbon was somewhat disappointing. It lacked depth (duh) but also did not have lots of that bourbony character, more like a blander grain whiskey (not saying all gran is bland, just my best way to describe this). This does not even take into considering the $150 price tag per bottle, though a lot of that was due to the collector nature of their first straight bourbon. Supposedly their regularly released straight bourbon will be more in the $60 range. Still pricy, but not completely insane.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I have not had Berkshire bourbon, may have to change that, but the rye coming out of Woodinville Whiskey, craft distillery near Seattle, actually tastes like rye, which I really enjoyed. It's too expensive at $50 a bottle, but it is good. On the other hand, their first release of straight bourbon was somewhat disappointing. It lacked depth (duh) but also did not have lots of that bourbony character, more like a blander grain whiskey (not saying all gran is bland, just my best way to describe this). This does not even take into considering the $150 price tag per bottle, though a lot of that was due to the collector nature of their first straight bourbon. Supposedly their regularly released straight bourbon will be more in the $60 range. Still pricy, but not completely insane.
    I've been waiting for a report on their first straight bourbon. I totally balked at the price tag. I'm also skeptical about it at $60 unless it's really really good. They are down the road from me, so if it's decent I'll probably buy some just to show support while hoping for better days.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............