Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Four roses cult following here

Seems it has a die hard following here, I have a bottle of single barrel and small batch not opened yet cause I have too many other things opened, is it really that good? Also if it's so good in a world of over priced and price Gouching how or why is it priced at $30 to $40 a bottle?
    Life is too short to drink bad bourbon and smoke bad cigars.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Four roses cult following here

Who says we're "in a world of over priced and price Gouching" (I assume, gouging?) ?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Yeah I misspelled..damn small phone buttons lol, I just get the feeling in a few bourbons and rye prices are higher then should be due to the bourbon craze some speak of, my point is with a product like four roses that I have never heard a bad thing about I'm surprised it's in the price range it is and not going for around $60 to $80 when lesser quality and loved bourbons are in those price ranges..is it cause there is so much of four roses to go around and supply is not having a issue to meet with demand?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bourboNcigars View Post
    Yeah I misspelled..damn small phone buttons lol, I just get the feeling in a few bourbons and rye prices are higher then should be due to the bourbon craze some speak of, my point is with a product like four roses that I have never heard a bad thing about I'm surprised it's in the price range it is and not going for around $60 to $80 when lesser quality and loved bourbons are in those price ranges..is it cause there is so much of four roses to go around and supply is not having a issue to meet with demand?
    'Four eyed fox' hates four roses. I do not. That is kinda how things go around here. I doubt we all agree that it's great stuff. I guess they are charging what they want to charge or what the market will bear. They've been (re)building that brand from scratch (actually worse than scratch) in the US since 2001. Someone in an office somewhere feels it fits at that price.
    You also see a lot of love for OGD 114 and that is a low 20's bottle. I doubt beam will be jacking the price anytime soon. Sometimes when a product is working the best course of corporate action is to let it keep working. For that matter pappy only takes small increases every few years.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

I LOVE ogd114, in fact has I got a email for this reply I was searching Google for any deals on it online lol, I have 3 bottles but want to store away a case of it

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    'Four eyed fox' hates four roses. I do not. That is kinda how things go around here. I doubt we all agree that it's great stuff. I guess they are charging what they want to charge or what the market will bear. They've been (re)building that brand from scratch (actually worse than scratch) in the US since 2001. Someone in an office somewhere feels it fits at that price.
    You also see a lot of love for OGD 114 and that is a low 20's bottle. I doubt beam will be jacking the price anytime soon. Sometimes when a product is working the best course of corporate action is to let it keep working. For that matter pappy only takes small increases every few years.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I 'hate' four roses.......what I will say is that I just do not like the floral profile. As close to hating something as I get is Overholt and AE rye....but, taste is subjective. Fortunately, each distillery has its own signature profile, and you can try them all until you hone in on what you like.

but, to answer your question, i agree that 4R has a culty following on here, at least in the means of die-hard fans. Someday the twenty-teens products of 4R may be as highly regarded as old SW products are today. Im sure back then, though, there were people who didnt care one bit for SW either.

if we all liked the same thing, this would be one boring place.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Guru

Cult is a bit strong, we're not mindless indoctrinated robots here, rather stanch individuals actually. More like a widespread appreciation for a very high grade product widely available at good prices.

Of course nobody has to like it but one would be hard pressed not to appreciate it.
    Last edited by squire; 05-26-2014 at 21:33.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I enjoy and generally approve of Four Roses' products and business practices. The standard Single Barrel is probably my favorite sub-$40 pour. It is distinct from most other bourbons on the market at that price, both in its unique creamy mouthfeel and savory floral/leather/tobacco notes to balance out the more typical sweet bourbon notes. The private barrel offerings are all interesting pours, and some are so different from the standard Four Roses offerings that they might as well be from different distilleries. The Small Batch and Yellow Label are good in their price ranges as well, but don't do it for me like the SB does. And then there's the Limited Edition SBs and Small Batch offerings, which are both delicious (NCF and cask strength) and perennial competitors for many publications' American/bourbon/overall whiskey of the year. And all of this is a direct result of Kirin giving Jim Rutledge and the Four Roses family the room to follow his vision.
    Eric

Taster

Start looking for the unfiltered and uncut Four Roses Barrel Picks that are done at the gift shop or for store barrel picks - They are absolutely some of the most interesting and best bourbons in the world, while every recipe might not be for everyone(I'm looking at you 2011 Single Barrel LE), I think you would be hard pressed not to find one of them you enjoy. Jim Rutledge's level of integrity to the product is amazing, putting quality ahead of trends, fads, and profits. Plus they are in a strange position, the US is not their biggest market, so as they have seen tremendous growth surge in the US they have had some of their foreign markets decline due to shifts in drinking trends in those various parts of the world. So they aren't running nearly as short as all the other major players are.

Taster

I should have looked at your location, South Loop Binnys recently had all 10 four roses recipes in their uncut unfiltered single barrelly goodness. They might still have some left you might want to check, I bought both the OBSQ and OESQ from their and they were both great, especially the high rye.