Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 6/14: Jim Beam White

Well, it's the first of the month, and I'm on time for a change!

I'm going to go back to basics again with the BOTM. I'm taking a suggestion from a fellow member, and also using an idea that Jeff had when he did Beam White as the BOTM back in November of 2006. Jeff's idea was to try and hit the staple bourbons offered by the major distilleries. Thanks go to Flyfish for the original idea though. His suggestion was, "Recycle some of the old bottles. Not only have some of the bourbons changed over the years, the membership has grown and changed too."

Not much from me again. IMHO, I will say that Beam White is fairly easy on the wallet, but not so much so on the pallet. And yes that has been said by others. I'm not plagiarizing, just agreeing.

With that, the BOTM for this month is Jim Beam White. Like Jeff used to post when he was doing the BOTM, Sound Off!

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 6/14: Jim Beam White

It serves a purpose. In my case, it got me through college on the cheap.

When I graduated, I swore that I'd never drink it again (among a few other things)....and I haven't.

Disciple

I didn't drink it in college but I have had more than enough at company Christmas parties to know that I will never buy a bottle.

Guru

It's perfectly acceptable for what it is, an 80 proof crowd pleasing mixer that's adaptable for everything from eggnog to on the rocks. This is still the World's best selling Bourbon for a reason and anyone who just wants 'a Bourbon' to fill a slot in their home bar will find this brand suits.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

I drank a fair amount of JBW when my whiskey only went in Coke. Switched to EWB when I started drinking whiskey on the rocks. I've found that I just don't care for the JB namesake bourbons whereas I enjoy several of their other brands quite a bit.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

My mother-in-law has an 1125ml bottle of Beam White that she keeps at the back of the cupboard 'just for me' when we visit. I've never had the heart to tell her it's not top shelf stuff, but the fact that it's several years old and therefore one of the last 80 proof versions Australia got makes it worth drinking IMO (Australia's versions are now 37% or 74 proof for those who don't know)
    She pulled the bottle out for me Easter just gone to make a bourbon and coke, and I stopped her short of putting the coke in... threw in some ice and was pleasantly surprised by it. I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember thinking I wouldn't drink it every day, but I'd happily drink it if it was all that was on offer....

Enthusiast

Maybe I'll go pick up an airplane bottle of it for scientific purposes. Last time I had it, it was a small component of a bourbon and ginger at a wedding.

Guru

I don't think it's bad at all Cam, just overpriced for what it is.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Like others have said, nothing wrong with it as an 80 proofer, other than its price. I'd rather have EWB... it's higher proof, better tasting, and much cheaper to boot.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Advanced Taster

Y'all said it all. Overpriced, under proof, but in a pinch it'll do.