Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Taster

Re: BOTM 6/14: Jim Beam White

I just say no to JBW and 80 proofers in general

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Of course Old Grand Dad uses a different yeast formula (as does Basil Hayden) than the regular Beam products.
    I know but they still have a close "family" resemblance in flavor.

Gary

Connoisseur

Don't get me wrong. I always have all four of the Small Batch Collection bottles open and always keep a BIG bottle of JBW on hand. ; )

PS: I collect inflatable bottles. This one I mount on the top of the car when going to Jimmy Buffet concerts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Just another thought: The 80s JB didn't seem to have "the taste" and it is not as noticeable in the older current stuff (KC). Maybe because of the glut we were actually getting older Beam in the 80s...early 90s which is one factor in not detecting "the taste".

Trying not to use the word funk...
    What notes do you get from '80s JB? I just have one late '80s JBB (or black label, as it wasn't officially called "Jim Beam Black" yet) and, like you said, it's nothing like current stuff. I get a profoundly grassy note from it, not only different from current Beam but unlike most any whiskey I've had.

Advanced Taster

Friend brought a handle over to a party at our house last weekend, and I decided to stick it in the freezer. Neat, out of the freezer, it is much better than at room temperature or on the rocks. I'm fairly impressed.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    What notes do you get from '80s JB? I just have one late '80s JBB (or black label, as it wasn't officially called "Jim Beam Black" yet) and, like you said, it's nothing like current stuff. I get a profoundly grassy note from it, not only different from current Beam but unlike most any whiskey I've had.
    Just noticed this comment. Your impression of the late '80's JBB is like my impression of the '76 Beam's Choice 8yr I found at my parents house. Nothing at all like current Beam, and unlike any current whiskey I've had. Very odd.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Taster

I'm with Enoch and flahute. I've sampled JBW from the early 80's, still have a few small 200ml in the bunker, and have had some of those various "3 million month" (or whatever) Beam decanters. There is a real depth and sophistication that is missing from the current stuff. I can see how JBW got its reputation from the older stuff, and I can also see how current shooters/"bourbon and coke" drinkers don't really care.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    Just noticed this comment. Your impression of the late '80's JBB is like my impression of the '76 Beam's Choice 8yr I found at my parents house. Nothing at all like current Beam, and unlike any current whiskey I've had. Very odd.
    Right? How in the world can those have used the same yeast strain?