Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 6/14: Jim Beam White

Im always amazed that age and selection are all that differentiates this from Bookers. Beam should stick to 100+ proof, by my tastes.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    My mother-in-law has an 1125ml bottle of Beam White that she keeps at the back of the cupboard 'just for me' when we visit. I've never had the heart to tell her it's not top shelf stuff, but the fact that it's several years old and therefore one of the last 80 proof versions Australia got makes it worth drinking IMO (Australia's versions are now 37% or 74 proof for those who don't know)
    She pulled the bottle out for me Easter just gone to make a bourbon and coke, and I stopped her short of putting the coke in... threw in some ice and was pleasantly surprised by it. I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember thinking I wouldn't drink it every day, but I'd happily drink it if it was all that was on offer....
    You have 1125 ml bottles. How does your government handle the complex calculations involved in taxing that?
    Jim

Disciple

Worse yet while do y'all buy one than 80 proof?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It's perfectly acceptable for what it is, an 80 proof crowd pleasing mixer that's adaptable for everything from eggnog to on the rocks. This is still the World's best selling Bourbon for a reason and anyone who just wants 'a Bourbon' to fill a slot in their home bar will find this brand suits.
    Yeah, that's probably the best use for it. I keep it for guests who want to mix with Coke and they're comfortable with the brand as it's familiar to them. I bought a 750ml gift set last fall for around $13-14 that came with two rocks glasses, so it was a no-brainer.

As far as drinking neat, the Kirkland Small Batch that is made by Beam is light-years better and almost the same price. Heaven Hill 6-year BIB is readily available here now and that's even less expensive. I just can't find any other use for the Beam White except for guests who want a well-known brand to mix with.

Guru

That's not insignificant to a lot of people. I think Beam is perceived to be a quality brand generically speaking.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I didn't drink it in college but I have had more than enough at company Christmas parties to know that I will never buy a bottle.
    Yeah, umm, this...

Disciple

Tried it one time about a year ago. No way I would ever offer to guests even as a mixer.

Advanced Taster

Was out of town on business last week and picked up a 2-shot bottle just to have something in the room for the night, no way I would buy a larger bottle of this. Thin and hot is about the only way I can describe it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    You have 1125 ml bottles. How does your government handle the complex calculations involved in taxing that?
    By not hiring Americans to do the math...

Me, I have no problem with Beam White, though I never buy it, and rarely drink it. But, I will say that I do buy the 7 yr white from time to time, and it is understandably much better. The Distiller's Select is better, yet.

The 4 yr is a typical youngish 80 proof whiskey, that is solidly constructed, and pretty much delivers what I would expect. Put another way, I've never had a bad Beam White, and they're good enough at what they do, that I would never expect to ever experience a bad one in the
    future.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't think it's bad at all Cam, just overpriced for what it is.
    As usual, I agree. As such, I've probably only ever bought one bottle. There's cheaper stuff that tastes at least as good, if not better.
    Pete

I hate scotch.