Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Cask Strength Maker's

I usually just Tweet new label approvals and don't bother to post them here, but some merit a post.

This COLA is for a 375 with no front label. It could be for tastings, gift shop, or some other limited use, but here it is: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...14099001000035

Connoisseur

Re: Cask Strength Maker's

I'm confused....
    The label says 'Cask Strength'; but it also has ABV 50, 100-proof. Are they required to put that in just for the approval process; then the actual cask strength is added for each offering? ...Or is the barrel proof actually only 100???
    In either case; I'd be in for a bottle, especially if it's non-chill filtered; and very especially if it's more like 120-proof.... Now that would be interesting!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I'm confused....
    The label says 'Cask Strength'; but it also has ABV 50, 100-proof. Are they required to put that in just for the approval process; then the actual cask strength is added for each offering? ...Or is the barrel proof actually only 100???
    In either case; I'd be in for a bottle, especially if it's non-chill filtered; and very especially if it's more like 120-proof.... Now that would be interesting!
    My understanding was they just have to put down some number as a place holder.

Reading this label - what would actually be really cool would be for the Makers Mark ambassadors program - when you get the email that your barrel is mature they sell you a barrel proof sample?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    My understanding was they just have to put down some number as a place holder.

Reading this label - what would actually be really cool would be for the Makers Mark ambassadors program - when you get the email that your barrel is mature they sell you a barrel proof sample?
    You are correct. The abv is just a place holder and they will presumably change it.

Interesting theory about the ambassador program. That could be it as well. It certainly does not look like a label for general distribution.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    You are correct. The abv is just a place holder and they will presumably change it.

Interesting theory about the ambassador program. That could be it as well. It certainly does not look like a label for general distribution.
    Yes, that would be cool. Of course, I'll still have to wait until around 2019 for my ambassador barrel to be ready...
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Guru

Is this an old idea that's been kicking around or a recent decision by the new owners.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

That band with "Maker's Mark Cask Strength" is the front label, is it not?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That band with "Maker's Mark Cask Strength" is the front label, is it not?
    Maybe, looks like a neck band to me.

Guru

That's what I thought at first too, but if it's a 375 ml MM that might work as a front label. Anyway, thanks for posting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

On the right side of the front label there is a line of text that reads "Meet The Makers" and 6 boxes below those words. On the MM website, there is a page dedicated to "Meet Your Maker's Makers", which highlights some of the distillery's "family" stories. I'm wondering if this new label for cask strength MM is not only distillery/gift shop-only, but maybe you will need to take a special, more extensive (i.e., more expensive) behind-the-scenes tour to Meet The Makers, before being granted the opportunity to purchase the 375 ml bottle. Or the new tour (still just my wild guess) will be so pricey that the price of the bottle is included in the ticket price. I dunno, maybe the little boxes are for special stamps you get throughout a special "Meet The Makers" tour.

I'm probably completely wrong, but just speculating, since it wasn't too long ago that MM was caught up in the whole lower proof fiasco. I just don't see how they are getting to where their bourbon stocks are to the point where they can sell a lot of cask strength product and meet the demand for their standard MM bourbon.