Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Cask Strength Maker's

Here's the "scoop" from MM:

Dear Ambassador,

The time has come to let you in on a little secret: For years we have been privately enjoying “uncut” Maker’s Mark straight from the barrel, and now we are experimenting a bit further.

A very limited supply of Maker’s Mark Cask Strength will be shared with the bartender community, asking them to weigh in on it and use it to make their next handmade cocktail.

This “uncut” or “cask strength” expression is Maker’s Mark pulled directly from the barrel when it has reached its peak maturity. It retains the smoothness and approachability of Maker’s Mark, amplifying those flavors that you, our whisky fans, have come to love over the past 60 years.

Just like people, barrels of bourbon don’t mature at the same rate. Every batch is a little different and unique in its own right – as are the Kentucky summers – so typically the ABV (alcohol by volume) will vary slightly from bottle to bottle, resulting in Cask Strength anywhere from 108–114 proof.

We imagine that you may like to try it as well, so, beginning later this fall, you will be able to experience Maker’s Mark Cask Strength for yourself at our home in Loretto. So please, come on down to the distillery and let us know what you think!

Cheers!

Rob Samuels
    Ambassador in Chief

Advanced Taster

Excellent. Thanks for the info, Kyjd75. Copy and pasted as plain text to avoid the black on gray contrast problem.

Dear Ambassador,

The time has come to let you in on a little secret: For years we have been privately enjoying “uncut” Maker’s Mark straight from the barrel, and now we are experimenting a bit further.

A very limited supply of Maker’s Mark Cask Strength will be shared with the bartender community, asking them to weigh in on it and use it to make their next handmade cocktail.

This “uncut” or “cask strength” expression is Maker’s Mark pulled directly from the barrel when it has reached its peak maturity. It retains the smoothness and approachability of Maker’s Mark, amplifying those flavors that you, our whisky fans, have come to love over the past 60 years.

Just like people, barrels of bourbon don’t mature at the same rate. Every batch is a little different and unique in its own right – as are the Kentucky summers – so typically the ABV (alcohol by volume) will vary slightly from bottle to bottle, resulting in Cask Strength anywhere from 108–114 proof.

We imagine that you may like to try it as well, so, beginning later this fall, you will be able to experience Maker’s Mark Cask Strength for yourself at our home in Loretto. So please, come on down to the distillery and let us know what you think!

Cheers!

Rob Samuels
    Ambassador in Chief

Trippah and Admin

Wow, giving uncut Makers to bartenders to mix in cocktails.

Woo.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

If anything, this looks promising in that about one or two years down the road it might hit the market.

P.S. Love the proof range on it. A lot like WT Rare Breed's proof.

Guru

I'm not a big MM fan, but I'll definitely go out of my way to visit them to pick some of this up (provided they have it in stock - my guess is it will go quickly!)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Wow, giving uncut Makers to bartenders to mix in cocktails.

Woo.
    Im trying to understand that statement myself....... I would think you would want to give a barrel proof bourbon to the enthusiast to drink straight up.

Connoisseur

Count me in too. Makers is my first bourbon love. Even now, I am never without a bottle of M46, and I expect the Cask Strength stuff will be amazing.
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I can see members rolling up to a bar that has this in stock, ordering a cocktail and asking the bartender to 'hold all other ingredients'

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I can see members rolling up to a bar that has this in stock, ordering a cocktail and asking the bartender to 'hold all other ingredients'

That would be me

Virtuoso

I'd like to give this a try, but I'd also take the current proof if they left it in the barrel a couple years more ...
    Mark