Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Advanced Taster

Re: The Madvatter strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by texaspete View Post
    anyone ever done a mellow corn/rittenhouse blend?
    I have not, but I would love to hear about it, if you try it.
    Real men, only needs six things in their life, Bourbon, Whiskey, Rye, Women, Cigars & Bacon!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    My (NDP) Templeton SmB Rye has been taking longer to kill off than I would like so I decided to vat 4oz of it with 4oz of WT101 in a old pint bottle and 4 more oz of it with 4oz of FC103 in another pint since I like both of those bourbons and they are cheaper and easy to find. I was going to vat it with some EC12 but the open bottle is getting low and while I have a bottle in the bunker and I can find it easily enough, the price went up $3 here recently and it is so good on it's own I wanted to be able to finish what's left in the open bottle neat.
    I tried the FC103/Templeton the other night and it was still bit heavy on the Templeton Rye so I decided to vat the rest of the Templeton equal parts with WT101 and OGDBIB which ended up being an 18 ounce vatting so I hope I like it.

There was about 1 ounce of Templeton left that I dumped into my #lastpours decanter so I could finally get rid of the bottle from my open bottles shelf.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    I tried the FC103/Templeton the other night and it was still bit heavy on the Templeton Rye so I decided to vat the rest of the Templeton equal parts with WT101 and OGDBIB which ended up being an 18 ounce vatting so I hope I like it.
    This turned out to be decent enough, on my 2nd neat pour. I also decided to mix the other 2 templeton vattings together in an empty 750ml bottle and added 6oz of BT to try and knock down the rye a bit more. I will be drinking templeton vattings for a while...

Advanced Taster

Has anyone tried a vatting of 3 Ryes, Ritt, Dickel & Bulleit?

I enjoy all three, thinking Bulleit to be the best, of the bunch!

I plan on doing an equal parts vatting of all three today, probably 12oz total. I'll let it set for a week and then give it a try.
    Real men, only needs six things in their life, Bourbon, Whiskey, Rye, Women, Cigars & Bacon!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyflake45 View Post
    Has anyone tried a vatting of 3 Ryes, Ritt, Dickel & Bulleit?

I enjoy all three, thinking Bulleit to be the best, of the bunch!

I plan on doing an equal parts vatting of all three today, probably 12oz total. I'll let it set for a week and then give it a try.
    Hey Johnny, I'd recommend tasting as soon as you vat it, just to try it, then come back to it and see if it changed......why not?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Hey Johnny, I'd recommend tasting as soon as you vat it, just to try it, then come back to it and see if it changed......why not?
    That's a good idea. I will do that. Thanks!

Disciple

I've not done a three way rye vat (on purpose at least), but in my experience MGP does not usually play well with others. I look forward to your thoughts, and good luck Johnny!

Advanced Taster

I put my 3 Rye Vatting together today and then let it sit for about an hour. Took a light pour and started tasting. WOW! there is some forward heat, more than I expected and the hit of Rye Spice was way up there, strong. then the flavor mellowed out, very smooth. For me, the mouth feel is a tad heavy and syrupy. After finishing the pour, I find that I really like what I experienced, especially the heavy, up front Rye Spice. It's too soon to make any claims but right now, I like it better that either of the 3 Ryes used, individually. Of the 3 I used, Bulleit would be my first choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyflake45 View Post
    I put my 3 Rye Vatting together today and then let it sit for about an hour. Took a light pour and started tasting. WOW! there is some forward heat, more than I expected and the hit of Rye Spice was way up there, strong. then the flavor mellowed out, very smooth. For me, the mouth feel is a tad heavy and syrupy. After finishing the pour, I find that I really like what I experienced, especially the heavy, up front Rye Spice. It's too soon to make any claims but right now, I like it better that either of the 3 Ryes used, individually. Of the 3 I used, Bulleit would be my first choice.
    Bulleit and Dickel are the same source albeit the Dickel has the charcoal mellowing. I wonder what difference a slightly different mashbill for a third rye would make. Maybe early Jefferson's from Alberta (or whistle piggy) with 100% rye or CEHT rye with the presumed 90ish% rye mashbill?

Can't recall if anybody has a readily available 65ish% rye mashbill that is at least 4 or so years old.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum