Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Taster

Re: The Madvatter strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    A cheap/easy try would be Larceny. Maybe a Weller, but there sure is a lot more of the Larceny around nowadays.
    Thanks for the suggestion Paddy. I have some Larceny on hand and will give it a try.

Connoisseur

I've never tried the Baby Saz... might be time too. We did a vat of some OF 1849 and OF 12 last night these 2 play very well together.I think I prefer the Of 1849 over the 12. Much better nose for me.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Connoisseur

Tried an interesting one last night: KC/AAA10 yr. with a touch of WFR 5 yr. The first 2 were very good on their own, but wanted to add a bit more proof so went with the WFR. I have to say, quite tasty(of course don't think I ever had a bad one, just keep adding till it gets there). Ratio was 125ml/125ml to 50 ml of the WFR.

Advanced Taster

I think I read somewhere on SB.com that someone has a very good vatting of WT101/MM/4RYL. I can't find the post anymore though. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Also, I would imagine that GlenMorangie 10 would make a good Scotch/Bourbon vatter. Anyone play around crossing the Atlantic?

Cheers
    Breathe the southern wind,

Talk of who I am

Connoisseur

Is it time to start a "vatting thread 2015" or just rename this one?

I'm currently sipping on a 60/40 Larceny/4RSB vat that I mixed up about a week ago. It's tasty but I don't think I like it as much as either of its components.
    Andrew

Enthusiast

Felt like experimenting tonight, a few that were just okay, but two I really liked. 5 parts OFBB13, 4 parts Barterhouse, 2 parts WFE 10 year. Really good. Then a 60/40 blend of MWND and VOS19. Just kind of threw that one together at the end, but the oakiness of the VOB balanced out the sweetness/port/fruitiness of the MWND. Thought it was a terrific pour.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    Felt like experimenting tonight, a few that were just okay, but two I really liked. 5 parts OFBB13, 4 parts Barterhouse, 2 parts WFE 10 year. Really good. Then a 60/40 blend of MWND and VOS19. Just kind of threw that one together at the end, but the oakiness of the VOB balanced out the sweetness/port/fruitiness of the MWND. Thought it was a terrific pour.
    Hey Tony, glad to see you experimenting, VOS19? sure you meant VOB but what's the 19 about? How'd you like the W12 you scored?

Enthusiast

VOS 19 = SA Very Old Scout 19 year old. I said VOB in the second part of my post, but that was wrong. Maybe had a few too many samples by the time I was typing that. VOS 19 is a dusty now, very nice pour, I get a bold caramel as the predominant flavor, but there is a fair amount of oak presence.

The Weller 12 is just fine. Was lucky enough to score a second bottle, not too much showed up in our fine state. That said, I'm not quite sure why people go crazy over it. A solid pour/fine bourbon to be sure, but nothing spectacular, and when the price starts creeping into the $30's one has to wonder whether there aren't better alternatives.

GO PACK!