Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: The Vatting Thread 2014

I have been vatting for more than 20 years and completely disagree.

Gary

Just do it man (to Hawg '73). Take, say, Makers to Beam White, 3:1, or any HH price label. Just blend anything spicy/strong with anything mild/bland, for starters. It is very easy.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-31-2014 at 08:24.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I have been vatting for more than 20 years and completely disagree.

Gary
    Hey Gary.. disagree with the lousy whiskey thing? When I say lousy whiskey, I've only come across 1 or 2 in my time so far, if coke doesn't make them better? Never really tried vatting them with something else to make them better, I always vatted for something different,and always used whiskey I liked and some that I not so liked,but never lousy whiskey.Case in point: Michter's unblended American whiskey, just can't stand the taste of it period,maybe I'll try it with something...any recommendations?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Hey Gary.. disagree with the lousy whiskey thing? When I say lousy whiskey, I've only come across 1 or 2 in my time so far, if coke doesn't make them better? Never really tried vatting them with something else to make them better, I always vatted for something different,and always used whiskey I liked and some that I not so liked,but never lousy whiskey.Case in point: Michter's unblended American whiskey, just can't stand the taste of it period,maybe I'll try it with something...any recommendations?
    I agree with you as to that whiskey, not that it is bad in absolute terms, it just has a particular taste some just don't like (for me the Jim Beam group is similar). But yes I believe by combining it with other whiskeys you could get a very good tasting vatting. I might do 50% the Michter's, 25% Rittenhouse, 25% Knob Creek or any good whiskey 100 proof or more. (Knob Creek only mildly has the Beam taste and is excellent for blending IMO). Another approach is to use the nutty earthy flavour of Jack Daniels, maybe 1:1. In my experience, the mash bills and yeast backgrounds get "reorganized" into something new and winning. To be sure I'm not talking about whiskey that is mouldy or spoiled through bad storage in some way (oxidized, say), but this is my experience FWIIW.

Gary

Guru

Tried a 50/50 mingle of Old Ezra 101 and Old Forrester 86 proof (dusty). I have a handle of the OF86, and like it neat - but think I enjoy this mingle more. I bumped this against a similar mingle (using WT101 & the same OF86). I thought the Old Ezra brought a bit more burnt caramel to the party, and the sweetness seemed to get heavier and sharper as it moved across the palate. The WT101 had a creamier mouthfeel, and was a bit brighter/sharper (and less sweet) in comparison. Going to try the Old Ezra with some OF Sig in the future!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

Thanks to Gary, tried my first vatting: 50/50 BT and Stagg Jr. (134). Brings out the best of both. Now I wish I had more of the Jr.

Virtuoso

Looking at Gary's efforts with OE 7/101, I tried my own 50:50 of an EWSB 2003 and OE 7/101. The EWSB was a store select that was just a couple weeks shy of 10 years old and was terrific when first opened. Now down to about 25% remaining in the bottle, the woody/tannic/bitter/drying notes have become more prominent. The Old Ezra rounds that off and bumps up the proof nicely. I think this is how both bottles will meet their end.
    Mark