Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Heads up on alternative to glencairn glasses

The sherry copita would also perform as a good substitute.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    I struggle with stemed whiskey glasses, I cant settle into the la-z-boy with something so unstable!

I'm not allowed to even drink wine from a stemmed glass.......we only drink red, that, mixed with stems and me, are bad for the furniture.

We have stemless red wine glasses for that purpose, but they seem a little big to me for bourbon. Maybe I need to try again. I normally sip my bourbon from a rocks glass (either neat or with one ice "block") - but for tasting new stuff....I need to find something tulip shaped that works for me I guess.
    Last edited by VolForLife; 04-30-2015 at 08:53.

Apprentice

I seem to not get into trouble when I use the fat bottom glasses. Libby perfect something or another...

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by VolForLife View Post
    I'm not allowed to even drink wine from a stemmed glass.......we only drink red, that, mixed with stems and me, are bad for the furniture.

We have stemless red wine glasses for that purpose, but they seem a little big to me for bourbon. Maybe I need to try again. I normally sip my bourbon from a rocks glass (either neat or with one ice "block") - but for tasting new stuff....I need to find something tulip shaped that works for me I guess.
    Stemless red wine glasses are anywhere from 17-22 ounces (that's if you fill it to the rim, I guess). Stemless whites are around 11-13 oz. That's what I prefer (mostly 'cuz that's what I have around). But I've also seen 7-8 oz. spirits glasses in that same shape. Not sure if someone like Reidel has a "fancy" one, but I've seen inexpensive ones ($2-$3, I think) at Crate & Barrel's website.

Enthusiast

Speaking of Crate and Barrel, I've been using the Lewis Rocks Glass from there for a while and really like them. Solid feel to the glass with a decent weight on the bottom. The flare out at the top works well for me and the glass is big enough to hold an ice ball. For me, nice alternative to the glencairn. Alas, they are clearanced on the website (but at a great price!) so it's probably time to grab a few extra as they will soon be gone.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/lewis-rocks-glass/f47521

LewisGlass.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ravensfire; 05-02-2015 at 21:37. Reason: use not-so-massive image
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett