Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lagavulin 16 - WOW!

Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yesterday. I'm a big fan of Islays like Laphroaig, but had never tried Lagavulin (shocking, I know). Just posting to say... WOW! Lagavulin 16 is hands-down the best scotch I've tried. Even compared to Laphroaig, which I love, the texture is so smooth and silky and the peat finish is thick as can be, warm, lingering and incredible. For anyone that's somehow missed this bottle, pick it up. It's a classic for a reason!

Connoisseur

Re: Lagavulin 16 - WOW!

Nice work. They don't get much better than the Lag 16 for me either. I buy more expensive bottles, for sure, but very few peated whiskies are more satisfying than this staple. The price has shot up in the last year, but this will always be in my cabinet.
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Connoisseur

I hate to admit it, but Lagavulin 16 would need to be north of $100 for me to not consider having a bottle or two put away. It's a great malt by any measuring stick. If you like the 16, don't be shy about trying the 12 out as well. It needs water to bring the abv down, but is just an excellent dram.
    Eric

Virtuoso

I've owned one bottle and was thoroughly disappointed with it. It just did pretty much nothing for me, weak on all counts. I had a 12yo CS that I really liked a lot, but the 16 was toned down so much from the 12 that there is no reason for me to ever pick one up again, especially at the prices they go for these days. The sherry influence was restrained, general and washed out, and the peat registered only ever so slightly. Honestly, more caramel color in the stuff than flavor, IMO.

Sorry to be such a downer on it, that was just my experience. Peat and sherry go together like peanut butter and jelly, but the Lag 16 just didn't register that pleasure for me. I'll be happy to try it again if you want to pour me a glass though!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

I like this one. It makes a nice diversion from the Laphroaig 10, which is my go-to Scotch. The biggest problem I have is with the price. Around here, Laphroaig 10 runs $39.95 and the Lag 16 is $84.95. I know I'm in the minority, but I acutally prefer the Laphroaig 10, even though I like both.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I've owned one bottle and was thoroughly disappointed with it. It just did pretty much nothing for me, weak on all counts. I had a 12yo CS that I really liked a lot, but the 16 was toned down so much from the 12 that there is no reason for me to ever pick one up again, especially at the prices they go for these days. The sherry influence was restrained, general and washed out, and the peat registered only ever so slightly. Honestly, more caramel color in the stuff than flavor, IMO.
    I had much the same experience, tasting notes and all, with bottles purchased in 2012 and late 2013. The first bottle I bought, in 2010, was a heck of a lot better, and in fact it's the bottle that made me like whisky. However, that may have been because I'd never had an Islay before.

This might dovetail with the Lagavulin expansion, completed in 1997.

For all you Costco members, I got my Lag 16 at Costco for $55. Don't know whether all Costco's have them nation-wide, but for whatever it's worth. I saw the price and figured at that range I should grab it.

Advanced Taster

The Lagavulin wasn't really my preference in whiskey, although I enjoyed the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Kilchoman Machir Bay a bit more. If you were up here in the Bay Area, I would just give you my bottle of Lagavulin 16 haha.

And FYI, about purchasing liquor at Costco in California for those that don't have membership, you don't need to be a member to make alcohol purchases.

Virtuoso

Lag 16 is a great whisky. Personally, I prefer the 12 year old. I'd take Laphroaig 10 CS over both of them.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I had much the same experience, tasting notes and all, with bottles purchased in 2012 and late 2013. The first bottle I bought, in 2010, was a heck of a lot better, and in fact it's the bottle that made me like whisky. However, that may have been because I'd never had an Islay before.

This might dovetail with the Lagavulin expansion, completed in 1997.
    Yup. Lag 16 is my wife's favorite. She ordered some recently at a restaurant (new bottle) and said it tasted "off". The several we have at home are several years old, old enough I don't remember when we bought them. Bad Sci may be on to something.