Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Lagavulin 16 - WOW!

In one of Ralfy's vlogs, he mentioned that Lagavulin isn't what it once was.

Guru

I love Lag 16 too. I think it's more balanced than the 12 cask strength but they're both good. YMMV.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    In one of Ralfy's vlogs, he mentioned that Lagavulin isn't what it once was.
    Whenever one of us old fahts opines that "something" just is not as good as it used to be, I often wonder whether "it" ever was as good as we thought it was. Reminds me of the commercial where the old guys are talking about walking to school and one says, "Feet? You had feet?" I mentioned this thread to my wife, the Lag lover, and she just laughed. "When I said it tasted different, I didn't mean it was bad. Remember, we'd just eaten a calorie-laden meal at a 4-star restaurant, and my tastebuds were singing, so of COURSE it tasted different." Going back to the cave now.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Lag16 is in my Top5 All-Time whiskies of any kind. Both for its taste and also sentimental reasons. I always have a bottle on the bar. I don't know about any recent change, but don't hardcore Scotchophiles also opine the change of distilleries some years ago?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Lag16 is in my Top5 All-Time whiskies of any kind. Both for its taste and also sentimental reasons. I always have a bottle on the bar. I don't know about any recent change, but don't hardcore Scotchophiles also opine the change of distilleries some years ago?
    I think the general view is that bottles from the 1990's were different from the later ones, and an emerging consensus that the newer ones are different from those in the past 15 years or so. As a counterpoint, Serge at whiskyfun thinks it's as good as ever. Maybe it's in my head, or maybe it's due to the massive increase in production starting in the late '90s. The sherry casks could be reused more, the cuts could be narrower, the aging could be more controlled to reduce evaporation, etc.

Or this indeed could be hooey and we just have a rosy remembrance of things past!

Connoisseur

If I recall correctly, Ralfy was recently saying that the Sherry Finishing of the DE was mediocre and off, but the spirit itself is still decent. FWIW, I don't really think the standard Lagavulin 16 has much in the way of sherry influence anyway, only having heard rumors that some (probably increasingly small portion) is aged in sherry casks and blended in with mostly ex-bourbon. Those of you remembering a really strong sherry influence may want to check out the Distiller's Edition instead. Seems like those are going on sale just about now. What I personally love about Lag16, 12, and Caol Ila is that the peated malt they all share has brilliant chocolate flavors that peak through, which just really goes well with the peat. I've tasted the combo in straight ex-bourbon versions of both, and in versions that definitely do have some sherry influence, so I'm not worried about losing the peaty chocolatey goodness.

At any rate, I can currently get Lag 16 for $49, so I try to keep a bottle bunkered.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    At any rate, I can currently get Lag 16 for $49, so I try to keep a bottle bunkered.
    Wow, that's a hell of a deal. It's almost double that around here.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Wow, that's a hell of a deal. It's almost double that around here.
    Same here as I recall. Well maybe $80-90 I think anyway. Don't know if it was all the talk about Lagavulin but today I stumbled upon a 2013 Lag 12 CS which I haven't seen in a while. A bit spendy but I decided to bring it home anyway.

Lagavulin 12.JPG
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 06-21-2014 at 18:05.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

In Wash DC, regularly $70 but on sale often enough @ $60 to wait and watch for sales.

In Montgomery County (MD) stores, regularly around $57 AND they usually have it.

Northern Virginia? VA ABC website says $97.

Needless to say, I've never seriously looked for it in VA.

Connoisseur

Love the Lag 16 as well. Great experience with the bottles I've had. Last paid about $57 on military base thanks to BiL.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"