Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Other bourbon discussion areas...

Has anyone spent time looking at other bourbon supposed forums or subs online? Excluding BE, theyre ok. I spent a week on reddit and its all talk of mixing soda with your bourbon and realized it is the exact young dbags who thrive on going to a bar and paying ten bucks for a soda and bourbon and that top shelf bourbon is badass when they mix it. I dont care how you drink but don't complain about differentiating oaked versus overoaked or too sweet or too much corn flavor in a bourbon brand when you're drinking with coke or pepsi. Glad at least I can read a forum without the idiots. My hats off to the more straight bourbon crowd here.

Guru

Re: Other bourbon discussion areas...

there are few other bourbon-dedicated sites, and none as good as this one. None are perfect (including this one), but this site is very active, diverse, and knowledgeable, with a good dose of humor, and many people willing to help others learn and acquire.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Novice

But I like my GTS and PVW20 best with diet coke ... ... ... haha jk

Taster

It sounds like to me you're not really interesting in finding new communities.
    My Whiskey Review Blog: Whiskey Lately

Guru

I was active on BE for a while and I was a member of another site briefly. IMO, SB.com is the best. BE has some good historical resources via Mike, but none of the others do much for me.

Twitter has a good convo every once in a while and the Detroit area American Whiskey group on FB is good too.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

This the number one site hands down. It's also the best site that I visit compared to my other hobbies of college football and motorcycles.

The interaction, advise, sharing, etc just can't be beat.

The fact that we have great mods is a super plus as well.

what? there's another bourbon forum other than SB?

Connoisseur

Not to blow 'our own' horn; but, the SB folks and the mods who make the site what it is...
    are easily the most knowledgeable and good-natured, not to mention the most unapologetically bullshit averse
    of any site I've ever visited. Not that I visit many more than once.
    A vast wealth of experience, a dash of humor, a common willingness to help others enjoy our hobby (passion?)...
    What more can you ask?

Enthusiast

I'm a member of the Bourbon Info Exchange group on Facebook, but rarely post anything there. Occasionally good info and discussions, enough to keep me checking out posts, but in general they're not as knowledgeable as this bunch, and far more of a flippers mentality prevails, which I don't like.

Connoisseur

I have an IE Faves folder called "whisky whiskey" that holds my brown spirit links - blogs/sites by sku, Chuck, Josh, Fred, Coopered, WAdvocate, TTB, Lehrman BevLaw, and a few others (David de, some sales/reviewer sites like K&L, etc.) are there along with some links to some mfr's sites (MGP & SA for example), and a tab for "stores" so I can check prices and availability. I have a separate folder for "other spirits" with theginisin blog listed first. It's a real short list.

I usually visit the bourbon ones daily just to see what's what before I log on to SB and also sometimes visit WA, TTB, etc., when something occurs to me (like, my hardcopy of WA is someplace else & I can't remember specifically what an article said - BTW the recent "rye" issue is a keeper).

My list of bourbon blogs used to be longer. Fifty years of trial and error drinking has led me to conclude that I really don't need to spend lots of time elsewhere when I (a) see a new bottle of something, (b) have shelf space to fill, (c) feel duty-bound to help the economy recover by spending my booty. You all are all I need. And unlike my local purveyors and bartenders, you don't need to sell me anything or need to keep me happy so I know some of you will tell me the truth.