Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Enthusiast

Re: Sunday Bloody Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    A plethora of rules, cocktail name integrity?? Sounds pretty uptight, but if that works for you Who am I to say you're wrong.
    Uptight is my middle name. That's why I can imbibe and know I'm not just pleasing my taste buds -- I'm doing the rest of the world a big favor.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ToEOrNotToE View Post
    You are correct. However, my reasoning behind this exception is as follows: The difference between a 51% corn / high rye bourbon and a 51% rye / high corn rye whiskey are negligible. If you mean that a Manhattan should only be made with a non-corn rye like Bulleit Straight Rye Whiskey (with a mashbill of 95% rye and 5% barley), I wholeheartedly concur. But if a 51% rye grain mashbill is allowed, I would also be willing to substitute a minimal corn / high rye bourbon for it any day. They're as little as 7% different (allowing for 5% malted barley in each to aid in starch-to-sugar conversion).

In addition, insisting on a rye with no corn would exclude the vast majority of rye whiskeys on the market from being used in a Manhattan. That isn't what I meant when I used the term "stickler". What I meant was a Margarita made with Crown Royal.

It would be interesting to know what Pre-Prohibition mashbills for rye whiskey were. Were they composed of nearly all rye, like the Bulleit rye I mentioned, or did they allow for some corn in the mash?

By the way, you certainly can make a Martini with vodka instead of gin. Only then, the drink becomes a Kangaroo.

Yes, quite familiar with the Kangaroo appellation for vodka and vermouth.

As for "high rye" bourbon versus "low rye" rye you would probably be hard pressed to find a regularly available bourbon with more than about 36% rye (MGP) or Four Roses at 35% so the difference is more like 15%.

But that said I do prefer the higher rye content ryes for a Manhattan and only use the Rittenhouse/Sazerac "Kentucky style" lower rye content ryes when I have no other alternatives. But even then I feel it has a bit more rye flavor (especially the new Rittenhouse) than most high rye bourbons. And MGP ryes are now readily available most places. As is perhaps my favorite, the CEHT rye at least locally, which also appears to be a fairly high rye mashbill, maybe 90%, if a bit pricey.

Pre prohibition ryes from what I have read seem like they were more like the MGP 95% rye mashbill. Maryland style was perhaps a bit less but much more than the current "Kentucky style" low rye content ryes. Barton at one time made an 80% rye that High West has bottled and is excellent (the now dusty 16yo). Not sure it is being made any more by Barton though. The Canadian sourced ryes like Whistlepig, especially the barrel proof Boss Hog, and LSB work also but tend to make a pricey cocktail. The old Jefferson 10 Canadian sourced rye is a bit limited by proof and these days who knows where the newer bottle comes from or what is in it!

Another unfortunate legacy of prohibition I suppose that nearly killed authentic high rye content rye whiskey.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    My Bloody Mary recipe would probably bore you, because I came to what I like years ago, and that's pretty much how I do them. I did make an improvement last summer, when a lady on Google Plus suggested using Old Bay seasoning instead of salt and pepper. So here is my recipe:

Regular Bombay or Beefeater gin
    V-8 juice
    A good squeeze of fresh lemon
    Tabasco and Lea & Perrins sauces
    Old Bay Seasoning
    A celery stalk if I have one

Tim
    I'm even more boring. If I want a bright, fresh Bloody Mary, I'll use Smirnoff Bloody Mary mix with whatever vodka is on hand. If I want a bold, robust Bloody Mary, I mix Zing Zang with vodka. A celery stick or something similar to stir with is nice, but extra work.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Call it, name it what you want but if you ever try OGD114 in a Bloody Mary you'll never go back.