Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EWBiB or HHBiB?

Taster

EWBiB or HHBiB?

From what I've gathered after reading posts on this fine site and other places, EWBiB and HHBiB are very good whiskies at a value price.

I plan to get my hands on both them sometime (hard to find around here) and try both, so for me, it's not really an either-or question, but really and both-and proposition. However, w
    hich do you prefer and why?

I'm fine with EWBlack for what it is, and I'm a big fan EWSB, so I'm curious how HHBiB is significantly different.

Connoisseur

Re: EWBiB or HHBiB?

You can't go wrong with either one. Just my impression that the difference between EW BIB and HH BIB must be barrels selected for a particular profile, maybe from different rick house or different areas. The HH has a bit more rye spice and the EW more buttery like EW 1783.

Guru

theyre very similar. I doubt youd notice much difference unless side by side, and then only barely. That said, I think HH6 is minutely better, and a few bucks cheaper, but distribution isnt equal.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Funny... I just did a side-by-side tasting of EW BiB and HH 6 year BiB. (the 6 year HH BiB may not be available in your area)

Simply put, EW is like EW Black with more bite (naturally). it's smooth and sweet with a lot of traditional bourbon flavors of caramel, vanilla, etc.
    HH6 tends more towards the oak and wood side. lots of tannins, and tastes older than it is, honestly. It's like a younger Elijah Craig.
    DSC01415-e1404065921529-768x1024.jpg

I really like both. they aren't so different that you should love one and hate the other, but they're different enough that you could easily have a preference. both are fantastic values.
    Last edited by ModernThirst; 07-01-2014 at 05:46.

Guru

For me Evan Williams BIB is slightly more flavorful than Heaven Hill's 6 year BIB but also a bit rougher. Both are well worth it and as suitable a pair of candidates for comparison tasting as any.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Are you referring to HHWhite label or HHGold label?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Are you referring to HHWhite label or HHGold label?
    They are referring to white label.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Taster

For what it's worth, the HHBiB is the one for me. It tastes like a whiskey twice its age. Then again, I love oak, so folks who feel otherwise might easily prefer the EWBiB. That's what's great about whiskey: here are two bourbons from the same mashbill from the same distiller, at the same proof, etc., and yet with such different results -- and such consistent, different results, too.

Guru

That they are, Heaven Hill has achieved three things here, very good quality, very good price, very good consistency.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I say this often, but it sometimes shocks me how much I'm coming to like so many of Heaven Hill's products across the spectrum. From bottom shelf to limited release, they just put out good products. These two are great examples of low-priced bourbons that would be good regardless of price.