Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EWBiB or HHBiB?

Advanced Taster

Re: EWBiB or HHBiB?

Quote Originally Posted by ModernThirst View Post
    I say this often, but it sometimes shocks me how much I'm coming to like so many of Heaven Hill's products across the spectrum. From bottom shelf to limited release, they just put out good products. These two are great examples of low-priced bourbons that would be good regardless of price.
    That's been my experience too. Now it's just a matter of getting my hands on more.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    For me Evan Williams BIB is slightly more flavorful than Heaven Hill's 6 year BIB but also a bit rougher. Both are well worth it and as suitable a pair of candidates for comparison tasting as any.
    This has been my experience as well - up front and mid-palate the EWBiB has more of what I characterize as EW character (sweet, round, black cherry/caramel-vanilla) but had a rougher finish (bitterness, rough tannins) that seems out of character for the EW brand generally. The HH6BiB has less of the black cherry, more oak, a bit more herbal/grass, but had the better finish.

Splitting hairs ... but I'd throw it to the HH BiB 6 year.
    Mark

Guru

So would I . . . . . . . . . .
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Mark another for EWBiB's sweet beginning, but rough finish. Always solid, but my palate's mood on any given night can sway it a few notches in either direction between "OK" and "very good".

Wish I had the option of the HH label varieties, but I'm sadly stuck with the 80 proofer.

Advanced Taster

I only have access to EwBiB, and I have to say it is definately full flavor. Baby EC is a valid description. It is very much awesome on the rocks, the proof and flavor shine thru the chill and the rough finish is a bit muted.

A little too tasty on the rocks actually as is is 100 proof, lol.

Virtuoso

Mark me as another who leans to the HH BIB. I love the consistency in appearance, flavor and finish (smooth). The "young EC" descriptor noted up thread fits perfectly.

Connoisseur

Maybe it is just the difficulty getting HHBIB in WashDC while EWBIB is readily available, but I find HHBIB a bit more interesting than the EWBIB which is strange because I like EWB better than the lower proof HHs. But, I'd likely have trouble, without labels, telling you honestly which one I really preferred. [ASIDE: Thanks to Squire, I have a WashDC source for HHBIB other than a restaurant I go to a lot. I will be forever grateful.)

Hell, they're both pretty darn good IMHO. Just flip a coin, or buy a couple of each.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"