Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BOTM 7/14: Very Old Barton 100 proof/BIB

It's that time once again, and yes I know I'm late. What can I say?

Once again, I received a suggestion from a fellow member for this months BOTM, (Thanks Charles) so I figured why not. As was stated in a pm to me, it hasn't been the BOTM in a while, there's been some changes to it, and we have quite a few newer members. There ya go.

Here's my two cents worth. As a lot of you know, I love my wheaters. I like BIB's/100 proofers just about as much. While I don't have anything bad to say about VOB BIB, I have to admit I don't care for it as much as I do a few other BIB's. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's just my own individual taste preferences I guess. I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but I actually passed up a few bottles of the "age stated" VOB BIB while I was on vacation. Oh well.

Anyway, let's hear what y'all have to say about VOB BIB/100 proof. Oh, one more thing before we get started. Most of us are aware of all the changes that have taken place in the bourbon world the last year or two. Reference here being dropped age statements, BIB designations, drop in proof etc…. All this has already been covered in a few different threads here on SB. The changes to VOB BIB were covered quite extensively in a VOB specific thread IIRC. Please, and I emphasize the word please, don't air your gripes and complaints about the changes to VOB, and/or any other bourbons here. Everyone's cooperation would be greatly appreciated. Enough said.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 7/14: Very Old Barton 100 proof/BIB

Thanks, Joe. I have several bottles of "6" and of "Aged 6 Years" that I've neglected. Time to pop a couple. Get ready, liver, we're going to get serious.

Virtuoso

VOB BIB is my go-to bottom shelfer. Yes, I do like HH 6yr BIB (White Label) as well. But between the two I think I would take VOB BIB every time. It's a little smoother and more rounded for my taste.

Enthusiast

I'm not going to pretend this is one of my favorites, but I enjoy it every time I drink it. It has not fared as well as I expected in several blind tastings, which threw me for a bit of loop. I solved that by cutting back on the blind tastings, and just enjoying it on its own. Does that mean I am being subconsciously swayed by its reputation here? Probably so, but it doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    While I don't have anything bad to say about VOB BIB, I have to admit I don't care for it as much as I do a few other BIB's. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's just my own individual taste preferences I guess.
    My perspective exactly. The price is right and there is nothing wrong with it. It just isn't something that I look forward to. I can still find aged stated bottles but I continue to pass. I believe it must be the Barton profile that just doesn't do it for me.

Taster

Hmmm, I passed on a store selection barrel of this a couple months ago. Maybe I should have picked up one. Seems like it is likes by some. I think I will keep my eye open for some more. I've seen it at a few store around me.

Connoisseur

Straight bourbon, aged six years (or so), 100 proof and roughly 10 bucks per bottle (actually saw it cheaper than that today). Ummm, yes please! I always have a bottle (or six) in the bunker!

Connoisseur

Oh yes, I like this one a lot. It's not distributed in Washington State, but the steak and oyster house with the huge bourbon bar next to my office has it so that's how I came to try it. Liked it straight off. I found out that Oregon has it, so when a co-worker went down to Portland for the weekend, he picked up a case and we split it. After tax, it's about $15 a bottle which is incredible for what it is (and taking into account Washington's obscene taxes).
    I'm a fan.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Enthusiast

I was wondering about distribution. Haven't seen it here, either.

Advanced Taster

It's my go-to mixer, but solid on the rocks or neat as well.
    Andrew