Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Novice

Re: BOTM 7/14: Very Old Barton 100 proof/BIB

I bought a bottle a while back because people were saying it was a great value. It is. The bottle I have opened is NAS but I found an age stated bottle the other day hiding amongst the others and had to buy it. Since I enjoy my NAS bottle, I am certainly looking forward to the 6 year bottle.

Jason

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I believe it must be the Barton profile that just doesn't do it for me.
    ...and that profile is exactly what I like so much about it. A classic YMMV. VOB, 1792, Tom Moore BiB, even old Ten High (before it was blend). I've heard people describe that intense taste as "bananas," though I always think "Luxardo cherries" when I have a sip. Really makes me look forward to the new ones they're fixin to roll out.

Advanced Taster

To my knowledge it is not available in FL. On vacation I found it in a liquor store. I bought a family size, and opened it the following night by a fire. I find it just ok. I drank it neat. Ill try it with some water and mixed soon. It isnt bad, just not high on my list of BIB.
    Im a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.

Advanced Taster

I finally cracked one of my 6 year AS bottles, and right out of the gate I get that ample fruit (sometimes it's apple, sometimes it's more vegetal like pumpkin) that others have commented on. There's a good backing of toffee, vanilla oil, perfume, etc. Getting slight nail polish remover/solvent alcohol but airtime really helps. Also, I need to give this one a pinch of water. First pour neat had much too grainy alcohol harshness and some water certainly relaxes that.

For me, this is flat-out better than OGD BIB.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    I finally cracked one of my 6 year AS bottles, and right out of the gate I get that ample fruit (sometimes it's apple, sometimes it's more vegetal like pumpkin) that others have commented on. There's a good backing of toffee, vanilla oil, perfume, etc. Getting slight nail polish remover/solvent alcohol but airtime really helps. Also, I need to give this one a pinch of water. First pour neat had much too grainy alcohol harshness and some water certainly relaxes that.

For me, this is flat-out better than OGD BIB.
    I get basically the same out of the NAS. It's a water hungry pour for sure. The finish has the solvent for me and just sort of falls off a cliff. This can be solved by immediately taking another sip.

Advanced Taster

I picked up a case of 90 proof No.6 handles in the spring back around the time of the label change. I liked it well enough at $19 a handle. My store looked high and low for BIB in GA, but it was not to be. As I am abroad, those bottles will become dusties (along with a case of Weller 12) before I can have chance to polish them off. Also in the mix are some BIB wheaters: OF and David Something 18xx. Maybe time will improve them.

Incidentally, Kentucky Gentleman KSBW is available here. I need to do a sidexside with the VOB 90.

Cheers