Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Novice

Re: BOTM 7/14: Very Old Barton 100 proof/BIB

I bought a bottle a while back because people were saying it was a great value. It is. The bottle I have opened is NAS but I found an age stated bottle the other day hiding amongst the others and had to buy it. Since I enjoy my NAS bottle, I am certainly looking forward to the 6 year bottle.

Jason

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I believe it must be the Barton profile that just doesn't do it for me.
    ...and that profile is exactly what I like so much about it. A classic YMMV. VOB, 1792, Tom Moore BiB, even old Ten High (before it was blend). I've heard people describe that intense taste as "bananas," though I always think "Luxardo cherries" when I have a sip. Really makes me look forward to the new ones they're fixin to roll out.

Advanced Taster

To my knowledge it is not available in FL. On vacation I found it in a liquor store. I bought a family size, and opened it the following night by a fire. I find it just ok. I drank it neat. Ill try it with some water and mixed soon. It isnt bad, just not high on my list of BIB.
    "It's so good when it hits your lips" Frank the Tank

Advanced Taster

I finally cracked one of my 6 year AS bottles, and right out of the gate I get that ample fruit (sometimes it's apple, sometimes it's more vegetal like pumpkin) that others have commented on. There's a good backing of toffee, vanilla oil, perfume, etc. Getting slight nail polish remover/solvent alcohol but airtime really helps. Also, I need to give this one a pinch of water. First pour neat had much too grainy alcohol harshness and some water certainly relaxes that.

For me, this is flat-out better than OGD BIB.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    I finally cracked one of my 6 year AS bottles, and right out of the gate I get that ample fruit (sometimes it's apple, sometimes it's more vegetal like pumpkin) that others have commented on. There's a good backing of toffee, vanilla oil, perfume, etc. Getting slight nail polish remover/solvent alcohol but airtime really helps. Also, I need to give this one a pinch of water. First pour neat had much too grainy alcohol harshness and some water certainly relaxes that.

For me, this is flat-out better than OGD BIB.
    I get basically the same out of the NAS. It's a water hungry pour for sure. The finish has the solvent for me and just sort of falls off a cliff. This can be solved by immediately taking another sip.