Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 7/14: Very Old Barton 100 proof/BIB

I like it. If I had to choose between VOB BIB and OGD BIB I would take the VOB all day long...
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

I've always liked it. It wasn't until a year or two ago that we started to see the BIB version in Indiana. The 80 proof NAS version is all over the place; drugstores etc. Before that, I made a point to bring several of these home every time I visited KY. I still have a full anchor style bottle in my bunker. After the most recent label change (thanks to SB giving me a heads up) I went to a small town and came home with a half dozen 6 year bottles. I still have not tried the "6" labeled Barton. The ironic thing to me about Barton BIB; I always thought it was a much tastier bourbon than 1792. The 1792 is supposed to be Barton's premium brand.

Guru

I love it and it's one of my favorites at any price point. I usually drink it neat but I will mix the 90 proof version on occasion.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I love it and it's one of my favorites at any price point. I usually drink it neat but I will mix the 90 proof version on occasion.
    I wish could say the same...

I think it's pretty rough neat

Guru

Truth be told, I usually add a little water just to avoid proof-related acid reflux.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

I did a comparison tasting of EWBiB vs. VOBBiB tonight. I like both. EW had a sweeter, honey-like profile with floral notes. VOB, on the other hand, didn't have as much depth but had a pleasant cinnamon taste/burn to it. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with EW. EW was two bucks more, but either is a fine choice. VOB reminds me of Eagle Rare in the lingering spice it has.

Connoisseur

Not available in Hawaii, Bruce (SBOTY nomination?!) brought me a bottle of the 6 yo. I've had it open for a while, but don't go to it often. First, I get an acetone note that doesn't appeal to me. Then, although fruity (which I like), I perceive the fruit as prune juice or Dr. Pepper (which is not so good). All in all, a good bourbon, but not to my taste. I'll keep plugging away at the bottle and may come around eventually.

Advanced Taster

I would so love to find this. Alas, once again Another brand Pennsylvania gets Zero bottles of this allocated per year. Really driving me nuts since I have been REALLY into 1792 RR the last month. A cheaper, younger, BIB from Barton? Yeah I'd love it but the guys in Harrisburg who obviously know better than I do what bourbon I should be spending my money on have THANKFULLY saved us Pennsylvania residents from the horrors of drinking this. Thanks again PLCB!

Taster

I like it and think its very good for the money, but I will take OGD BIB over it all day long.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jmj_203 View Post
    I would so love to find this. Alas, once again Another brand Pennsylvania gets Zero bottles of this allocated per year. Really driving me nuts since I have been REALLY into 1792 RR the last month. A cheaper, younger, BIB from Barton? Yeah I'd love it but the guys in Harrisburg who obviously know better than I do what bourbon I should be spending my money on have THANKFULLY saved us Pennsylvania residents from the horrors of drinking this. Thanks again PLCB!
    Curious, are these guys elected or appointed to their positions?