Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Variance in mass-bottled whiskey.

This is just speculation on my part. High volume NAS brands dump lots of barrels together. The barrels are not exactly the same. They are all at least 4 years older. Some are probably older or "honey barrels" added to try and keep the overall brand profile consistent. My theory is somehow it all didn't get completely mixed together, and your bottle got an extra large dose of one of the better barrels. Another idea, maybe your bottle was one of the first ones bottled directly after they finished bottling a run of one of their high end brands.
    My experience with variation was with Old Fitz BIB. I got a 750ml that was extra good. It tasted like a 100 proof version of Larceny. I went back to the same place and got a handle. When I opened that, it was just the same old run of the mill.
    Last edited by PaulO; 07-07-2014 at 05:47.

Guru

I've noticed this too, especially in WT products and in Old Forester. I get a good bottle and I start proclaiming the rebirth of the brand, then I get a bad one and I declare it dead.

I've noticed a lot of variation in EC 12 and VOB in the past. The EC 12 problems seem to have worked themselves out and VOB seems to be more consistant now that Sazerac owns the distillery. Not that I ever disliked a bottle I've had of either.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Another idea, maybe your bottle was one of the first ones bottled directly after they finished bottling a run of one of their high end brands.
    This changeover theory seems the most probable since it does seem WT batches barrels into a larger vessels prior to bottling - unless, of course, that same WT employee again forgot to turn the valve toward the Tradition bottling line and mis-directed it toward the standard 101 ... UnFathomable ....
    Mark

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    I've had bottles of Elijah Craig that could have been completely different brands to the point that I don't really expect anything consistent about it with the exception of heavy oak.
    The first bottle of EC12 I bought was downright terrible, which turned me off of the brand for a few years. I couldn't even get people to mix that stuff with coke.

Weller 12 is the brand I have noticed the most inconsistency with, specifically the bitter soot flavor that creeps in sometimes. Ive have some that would qualify as an "upper middle class" mans pappy, and some that was downright undrinkable.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Novice

I would also allow for the possibility that your palate will differ a tad from day to day, such that a very enjoyable pour from a bottle over two consecutive nights might be followed by a rather sub-par pour on the third night. All from the same bottle, mind you.

Pat

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post

ive been very pleased with both WT101 and the new 112 WTRB lately. maybe theyre onto something again

For me, WT has been the most positive turnaround I've experienced since I got into the hobby a few years ago. Both the current 101 and 112 RB are among my favorites now, whereas I had them as "meh" just a few months ago.

Advanced Taster

Getting back to the original thread, perhaps how much I've enjoyed recent WT offerings is a result of inconsistency.

Connoisseur

Here's a good one- I have a bottle of the new DSP 1 Rittenhouse rye that tastes IDENTICAL to a bottle of Evan Williams BIB bourbon I have. And that's not just my palate, others have tried them side-by-side and proclaimed them to be the exact same whiskey. Something seems a bit wrong there!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    WT 101 and BT are the biggest teases in the industry
    I get more variation from their bottles, regular and "special" offerings, than any other company.
    Agree. I've purchased Wild Turkey 101 from my local Sam's Club fairly regularly and I'm surprised at the variation within each bottle often purchased no more than two months apart. Evan Williams Black has been the exception lately...