Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cognac

Connoisseur

Cognac

The following may not interest any in this forum. However, it makes an interesting overall reference to distilled spirits. This is a quote from Stuart Elliott's column on advertising in the New York Times.

"Indeed, Cognac is suddenly among the most robust categories in the distilled-spirits industry. The reason? Cognac's portrayal as an essential part of the life style of the members of the new urban, hip-hop subculture, which stimulated interest in a drink that had been perceived mainly as a mainstay of wood-paneled men's clubs or smoky jazz clubs.

Guru

Re: Cognac

Cognac's portrayal as an essential part of the life style of the members of the new urban, hip-hop subculture
    Good, let them drink their cognac, more good bourbon on the shelves for me.

Guru

Ya mean the Courvoisier-sipping "The Ladies' Man", as played by Tim Meadows of SNL, had more effect on who drinks what than does SB.com, The Bourbon Country Reader or Malt Advocate?

Or was that character reflective of a pre-existing phenomenon?

Yours truly,
    Dave "Gallo's Good Enough For Me" Morefield

Disciple

It is interesting though, how they were able to take a "stuffy old mans drink" and make it appeal to 20-sumthins

TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I worked on marketing for Martell Cognac in the early 1980s. Even then, brandy and Cognac were major categories in the urban, African-American market. For some unknown reason, Courvoisier always had the lion's share. Cognac is the drink of choice for many blues guys, most notably Buddy Guy, so it's not surprising that it would be a badge drink among rappers and hip-hoppers too. The point is, this is nothing new. Urban blacks have always been a big part of the Cognac market.

In bourbon, older black males are a big factor in the bottled-in-bond segment.

Guru

I totally agree, Chuck, but I want to add something that I read not too long ago. A more recent development is that the rappers were determined to show off their wealth. One way they chose to do so was to supply their parties with cases (and cases) of $300 per bottle cognac. Essentially, each guest got their own bottle and when it was emptied, they got another one. Conspicuous consumption.

Tim

Virtuoso

Good God Give Buddy Guy Some!

Guru

Believe me, CL, he has had his share. I saw him live in a small club setting one time. He was knocking them back pretty good.

Tim

Virtuoso

Hmmmm. I've seen him several times in NC and have never seen him drink.

My favorite Buddy Guy story is when I saw his live show for the first time, not too long after his release of "Damn Right I've Got the Blues". The show was in the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, NC (a local and, arguably, national institution for alternative, roots, southern rockabilly, and all other sorts of niche music).

After the opening act, I walked into the mens' room and saw an older black musician standing at a urinal, with a guitar slung over his back. An excited fan was standing at the urinal next to Buddy, screaming a few times, "G**dam*, I am p*ssing next to Buddy Guy!!!! G**dam*!". Buddy Guy took it in stride. He had a big ol grin on his face, shaking his head in laughter, completing his business, all the while laughing along with the rest of us at the fan's unusual manner in meeting the star of the show.

Guru

Hmmm. Well, I saw him somewhat more than 15 years ago. Maybe he has changed his ways.

Tim