Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cognac

Connoisseur

Re: Cognac

Have you ever heard of a Verdier still? I think I have that spelled right. I went to an Armagnac seminar last year and going back through my notes recently, I ran across this note I had jotted down, "single continuous still in Armagnac is different Verdier still 1819. Coffey still erected in 1820's in Ireland." I tried to do a search on Verdier to no avail. Not sure if I spelled it right. I think I remember seminar speaker Steve Olsen saying something about even the single continuous still used in Armagnac being different, maybe something about that the vapors passing across the wine and capturing congeners differently or something.

Apprentice

But then again, if you're in the neighborhood, I have many fine bourbons to wash them down with....
    Thanks, gr8erdane, I will try to remember this so I can give you a heads up if I find myself going down 'round there. Hopefully, I will have some scratch to make a Binny's run for something interesting that would reward you for playing host. Right now, I have very little to spend on spirits or such things.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonya, I haven't heard of a Verdier, but I'll check. I have heard about Adam, an early French inventor/developer of continuous stills. Probably both influenced the new type of new still adopted in (parts of) France in the early 1800's.

As for capturing the congeners differently, the one I saw a photo of was a little three-shelf affair. Compare that to the three STORY jobs seen in modern distilleries. Clearly the ability of those old primitive systems to produce rectified liqour was limited - taste won out, but long aging was needed to tame these creatures.

Gary

Guru

No reward needed here, always happy for company especially those from Bourbonia. All I ask is that my guests not drain my sole bottle of Stagg.

Apprentice

What's that you said? Not the Stagg? *looks at bottle* Whoops.