Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Single Pot Still Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Oats, rye, even bere (the original strain of barley) which is still grown in limited quantities in remote regions of the UK. They used the grains at hand and were frankly more interested in maximum alcohol production than adherence to any specific mashbill.

I notice from the Ransom website they use that 1865 recipe "as a guide" actually making the whisky "according to our senses", so it's an interpretation of the style. Not a bad idea though and a way for a micro to compete by providing something different.

Of course with an average list price of $90 it's hard to see who this 3 year old is competing with considering both Powers John Lane and Redbreast are four times older (12 years) and sell for 1/3 less (around $60).
    The first bottle is compelling to me specifically because they did something different in a style I was already interested in and they had a sufficiently good reputation as a distiller already based on Ransom Old Tom gin (David Wondrich's involvement, in both of them it should be noted, didn't hurt either). To put small distilleries head to head against a behemoth like Midleton is rarely, perhaps never, going to be truly competitive. I am interested in new and different. And good of course!

Any bottles one acquires after the first one have to be based on ones enjoyment level, at least for me. I gave the same benefit of the doubt to the Woodford Masters Collection several times with very non-competitive bottles and they are hardly a "craft" distillery, no matter how much they want to appear so. Don't think I will be doing so again though!

So in the end to me it is more a matter of what your current objective is (and of course what you have the ability to afford. I don't like to throw money away any more than the next person but I am fortunate to have a good deal of flexibility in my spending). If someone is at the stage where they want to drink good consistent whiskey day to day at a reasonable price that is fine. If you are like me and at the stage where your interest is in learning more about different whiskey and different styles of whiskey and wanting to try a variety of different things then I think the Emerald 1865 is a very competitive price especially since there is little or no competition.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Woodford Reserve uses pot stills but I'm not sure that's what you are talking about.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

I think Grand Traverse has been experimenting with an Irish style malt whiskey, but they don't have a true pot still IIRC.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

It's more about the mash, not the pot still which is common across the pond. The Irish have produced a style unto itself by combining malted and unmalted barley into the mash. The older versions also included small amounts of oats and even some rye.

to
    Last edited by kaiserhog; 07-19-2014 at 10:49. Reason: wrong quote

Taster

I read on Pritchard's website that their "malt" whiskey is "Irish" style with a mashbill of malted and unmalted barley. Not really malt whiskey but a single pot still whiskey. I don't recall if they triple distill it.