Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

A BT scarcity rumor...

I check in on the hipster mixologist dbags at reddit once a week in case there are reviews of bourbon sippers. I read a comment that Benchmark was told to someone by a salesman as now officially being "alotted" by BT. For freaking real? If its true they are seriously exaggerating their shortages story. Which brings me to my point. All of their PR hysteria is clearly telling me BT is going to massively hike prices for their namesake bourbon, Eagle Rare, everything they offer. I don't know but I can see them being the first to have the bawls to price bourbon as high as they can to take advantage of the hysteria they themselves created. It makes too much sense to a young conspiracy bourbon lover. For my tastes so many other brands taste better anyways nowadays. Ridgemont Reserve was so good tonight I ordered 3 bottles to put away. HH, any of them have my love anymore over the shitstorm BT seems to be purposefully creating.

Connoisseur

Re: A BT scarcity rumor...

See recent threads about this topic as well as recent interviews with Mark Brown of Sazerac. He claims they don't have plans to hike prices drastically. Can you believe him? My short history on this forum indicates he's a straight shooter with us here. Others with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Connoisseur

I've come to realize that most of the time scarcity, shortage, allotted, or allocated just mean that there are distributors or retailers that would buy more than is currently available. It doesn't mean there is none. I'm thinking about the MM and KC "shortages". Now, if you're talking about an item that only has a very small amount of bottles released a year, and it gets popular, that's a different story.

Advanced Taster

I'll take past experience that he's a straight shooter as hopeful. The only one I really even keep bottles of is a few Eagle Rare. I have one BT bottle but I doubt I'll replace it when its empty, just for the fact them crying shortages hey maybe I'll help you guys get your stocks back up by NOT buying any more. Too many other good bourbons that aren't crying shortages. Jeez they even have signs up in the empty shelf spots in Pennsylvania liquor stores where Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare used to be, something along the lines of "Please be patient and understand Sazerac will be having shortages of BT and ER for the foreseeable future". OGD BiB and RR went in my cart instead last trip.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jmj_203 View Post
    I check in on the hipster mixologist dbags at reddit once a week in case there are reviews of bourbon sippers. I read a comment that Benchmark was told to someone by a salesman as now officially being "alotted" by BT. For freaking real? If its true they are seriously exaggerating their shortages story. Which brings me to my point. All of their PR hysteria is clearly telling me BT is going to massively hike prices for their namesake bourbon, Eagle Rare, everything they offer. I don't know but I can see them being the first to have the bawls to price bourbon as high as they can to take advantage of the hysteria they themselves created. It makes too much sense to a young conspiracy bourbon lover. For my tastes so many other brands taste better anyways nowadays. Ridgemont Reserve was so good tonight I ordered 3 bottles to put away. HH, any of them have my love anymore over the shitstorm BT seems to be purposefully creating.
    First, I'm going to steal 'hipster mixologist dbag' because that is awesome.

Second, I love you and I'm not even drunk right now.

Third, you are totally right. BT has whipped quite up an epic load of total bullshit in the form of a 'shortage' meme that gets embedded into the minds of hipsters, distributors, store owners, employees and ever other mouth-breathing Pappy chaser. It's brilliant. Look at the recent Esquire article on it.

I have my 5th case of Weller 12 coming this week. That's 60 bottles moved to one schmuck over the past 9 months. Alloted my ass. Ill tell you who it's alloted to, those who don't have their head up their ass so deep they can't smell past all the BS.

BTW, I think I bruised my spleen laughing at the Benchmark thing. What's next, the local rubbing alcohol plant is running out of isopropanol so everyone make a run to Walgreens and buy 17 cases of it? It's just so stupid you have to believe its true!
    Last edited by BootsOnTheGround; 07-08-2014 at 08:43.

Advanced Taster

There are stores in frankfort that can't keep anything BT in stock...people leave the tour and head straight to liquor stores by the busload (literally...the tour buses) and buy anything and everything BT makes.

That's a distribution thing and due to location, not a shortage of product, though. Keep that in mind.
    Last edited by ModernThirst; 07-08-2014 at 09:10.

Guru

tons of it seen everywhere in FL this week
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Enthusiast

BT produces a LOT of bourbon. A LOT. It's safe to say they aren't making or selling less, as that would be counterproductive to the essence of their business.

State-by-state distribution is challenging to maintain a balanced inventory. Once a bottle makes it to an in-state distributor, it's not leaving the state even if one state has an overabundance of a product and another one is dry.

PaulO has a good comment on what allocation et al actually means. It's not disappearing or shrinking, it's just that more people are willing to buy a product than what is available. It happens in every industry (electronics, textile, automotive) but bourbon is more difficult to predict and requires that pesky aging process. Needless to say, BT is not bottling less product, they (and us) are just waiting for aged product to bottle more.

I'm not discounting the fact that some people can't buy the BT products they want, I'm simple saying that that the same (or similar) quantity of product is out there regardless of the fact that you can't get it.

Guru

A scarcity of Benchmark? Holy Smokes, I will start following that delivery truck. Seriously, people who have nothing to say but are determined to say something anyway will just make stuff up.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

It's going to get worse. According to local distributor, Kentucky Gentleman is next for allocation!