Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Out of Many . . . One.

The concept of a single barrel Bourbon is easy to grasp. A single barrel is dumped, bottled and when empty another barrel is dumped and so on until the run is finished. So although there may be many bottles each one of them came from a single barrel and not a batch of barrels, or do they?

There's no law that says a distiller cannot dump, say, 20 barrels, mingle the contents, rebarrel the whisky to age again for 3-6 months (Remember Jacob's Well?) and bottle the lot one barrel at a time. This would in fact be single barrel bottlings though certainly not what we think that term means.

What about topping up? Barrels suffer evaporation as they age and there's no law that says a distiller can't take 8 year old whisky still in the barrel, fill up the evaporated space in them with 4 year old whisky, let them mingle for a few months and barrel the lot as single barrel expressions. It may in fact be a better whisky for that with the younger stuff adding a bit of freshness to the older stock.

Under either scenario the finished product can be labeled single barrel. What do you guys think?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Re: Out of Many . . . One.

I think you're about to start mayhem!

Guru

I think I am going to pay more attention to taste, availability, and value going forward and less on labels be it aged stated, NAS, Single barrel, Small batch, NDP, or my favorite Single Barrel Small Batch.

Guru

T Tiger I agree completely.

Disciple

I think Woodford already does this.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...Single-Barrel-!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    What about topping up? Barrels suffer evaporation as they age and there's no law that says a distiller can't take 8 year old whisky still in the barrel, fill up the evaporated space in them with 4 year old whisky, let them mingle for a few months and barrel the lot as single barrel expressions. It may in fact be a better whisky for that with the younger stuff adding a bit of freshness to the older stock.
    If they top up, it must change the age of the whiskey for purpose of age statements? Of course there are plenty of NAS single barrel whiskeys out there... I guess it wouldn't be too surprising if people were using modified solera techniques, and as TunnelTiger said, if the profile is easier to match maybe it isn't a bad thing?

As an enthusiast I want all the information possible, though I suppose some of this type of information could fall under "trade secrets".

Maybe on topic...

I have always wondered how WTRB for the last ten years has always had the same proof. Maybe they do something similar to this, after all they claim its a blend of 6 8 and 12 year old whiskeys, maybe they are topping up older barrels with the 6 year stuff to match profile and proof?

Guru

I think Woodford is not alone in this.

Enthusiast

The concept of a single barrel Bourbon is easy to grasp. A single barrel is dumped, bottled and when empty another barrel is dumped and so on until the run is finished. So although there may be many bottles each one of them came from a single barrel and not a batch of barrels, or do they?

There's no law that says a distiller cannot dump, say, 20 barrels, mingle the contents, rebarrel the whisky to age again for 3-6 months (Remember Jacob's Well?) and bottle the lot one barrel at a time. This would in fact be single barrel bottlings though certainly not what we think that term means.

Under either scenario the finished product can be labeled single barrel. What do you guys think?
    Isn't this exactly what Brown-Foreman is doing with Woodford Reserve double-oaked single barrels?

Edit: Whoops didn't see the post above

Guru

I expect Rare Breed has more 6 than 8 and 12 combined but that isn't necessarily a negative if the six was good in the first place.

Connoisseur

I expect Rare Breed has more 6 than 8 and 12 combined but that isn't necessarily a negative if the six was good in the first place.
    I think Squire is right on with this comment. IF it starts as good Bourbon (or any other stuff that's good) it will be more appealing to those who prefer quality (as long as it hits their preference points in terms of taste, nose, proof, etc.). If the final bottled product label is misleading (or not) it doesn't detract (or add) from the liquid inside. It just makes it more confusing, as well as more difficult to predict how it might taste.... Then again, that's true of single barrel offerings in general.
    So if mingling and re-barreling for final aging results in a more consistnet profile to the consumer; maybe that's a good thing. It just seems a bit deceptive.