Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Advanced Taster

Re: A BT scarcity rumor...

BT stocks have recovered here in No Col over past couple months, but now Weller (SR & OWA) have gone AWOL.
    Enough to drive a man to drink.
    Mark

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mark fleetwood View Post
    Enough to drive a man to drink.
    Hahaha. Excellent

Apprentice

Was in a liquor store today chatting with the owner. He said that bourbon is hard to get now, and as an example said that even BT is now allocated by his distributor. He said he asked for 6 bottles, was given 3 and told he would not be getting any more for a while. I pointed out that BT is on the shelf at various CVS stores in the area in great quantity (like 20+ bottles) and priced at 19.99. He was pissed, saying that was less than he buys it for from his distributor and that all the good bourbon is now going to the "big guys" like CVS and Trader Joes. Just a datapoint for the greater discussion.

Enthusiast

I will still wait until my stores get their shipments in rather than shop where nobody cares who I am. This situation, too, shall pass.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    Was in a liquor store today chatting with the owner. He said that bourbon is hard to get now, and as an example said that even BT is now allocated by his distributor. He said he asked for 6 bottles, was given 3 and told he would not be getting any more for a while. I pointed out that BT is on the shelf at various CVS stores in the area in great quantity (like 20+ bottles) and priced at 19.99. He was pissed, saying that was less than he buys it for from his distributor and that all the good bourbon is now going to the "big guys" like CVS and Trader Joes. Just a datapoint for the greater discussion.
    That is a major concern of the smaller stores here in Georgia according to one owner I talked to who is active in the trade association. They are fighting to keep the 2 license maximum and keep the Total Wines, Kroger's, CVS and those types from being able to dominate. Probably a little better for the consumer in terms of getting a broader selection and perhaps even better barrel picks if there is some healthy competition for consumers but not going to help keep prices low on the basic middle and bottom shelfers.

Personally I prefer the smaller stores where there is a at least a chance of building a personal relationship with a store. I will forego the savings of a dollar or two on BT or Evan Williams since it isn't what I buy regularly anyway.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    That is a major concern of the smaller stores here in Georgia according to one owner I talked to who is active in the trade association. They are fighting to keep the 2 license maximum and keep the Total Wines, Kroger's, CVS and those types from being able to dominate. Probably a little better for the consumer in terms of getting a broader selection and perhaps even better barrel picks if there is some healthy competition for consumers but not going to help keep prices low on the basic middle and bottom shelfers.

Personally I prefer the smaller stores where there is a at least a chance of building a personal relationship with a store. I will forego the savings of a dollar or two on BT or Evan Williams since it isn't what I buy regularly anyway.
    I agree! CVS or Kroger may beat the smaller stores or regular liquor stores by a $1 or $2 on BT or EW, but they aren't going to have as great of a selection or more desirable offerings. I know some of our larger chains in Indiana add tremendous value with barrel selections. The smaller stores can still compete on price because many are members of Co-ops. I have found many interesting things recently from smaller stores...older WTR101, Jeff Rye Canadian NCF. Hopefully, distributors recognize that there is a role for both types of retailers.