Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Wine Summer/Fall 2014

We were in Napa last week, so there will be more to follow

We did a Bordeaux blending seminar at Conn Creek--this is ranked as one of the best Napa experiences--and it was.
    They have 14 Cabernet Sauvignon barrels from all over the Napa Valley for you to taste (as much as you want) for about half an hour. You can mix them, too, to see how they go together. They have one barrel each of the other 4 Bordeaux varietals-Merlot, Malbec, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot.
    Then you make a mixture of whatever you want. If you're happy, you then create a bottle with the same proportions, cork it, make a label and take it home.
    $90 per person, $65 if you join their club for a year--but you go home with a bottle worth $50-70.
    Link below picture

http://www.conncreek.com/About/History
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Virtuoso

Re: Wine Summer/Fall 2014

Now that's pretty cool.

I've had their Anthology red blend before and thought it was good. Can't remember what vintage it was, though.

Connoisseur

​​Wow
    Not a lot of wine drinking going on this summer.
    We had this tonight. Usually I'm a big fan, but this one wasn't great for me. Not enough fruit

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

I've been drinking a bit of wine this summer. Some awesome French Rose' and some older wines before the new vintages land.

Connoisseur

Tonight on the patio with wifey pooh we started with a cheese selection and last years release of Copain's Tous Ensemble Pinot Noir and moving on to an excellent 2010 Quivira Zinfandel
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Guru

Orin Swift "The Prisoner". It may be a bit over the top for the heat of Las Vegas, but I could not resist. It's a Napa Meritage, %'s vary from year to year.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

another Cask Cabernet last night at Chicago Cut. Now it's got the Inglenook name
    this one was great!

bone-in filet

LBJ

Enthusiast

I've been really enjoying the Motor City Kitty (2010) Syrah from Charles Smith in WA. It has a great velvet texture and a nice mineral/fruit balance. For $30sh a bottle I'm really impressed (especially given how unimpressed I've been with some $50+ bottles I've bought). I bought the last 5 bottles I could find. Anyone had a chance to try this? Any comparative bottles?
    Justin

Charles Smith makes great Fn wine. His k vintner stuff is always top notch but pricey.

His Charles smith line are awesome value wines that are getting amazing press.

His chateau smith Washington cab is one of the best cabs under $20 out there IMO.

Virtuoso

Had some 2011 Chateau de Beaucastel Coudoulet de Beaucastel Cotes du Rhone the other night. A very good CDR.