Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smoky, peaty whisky. Grow to love it?

I've never been a real big peat fan. But I haven't had many single-malt scotches since getting into bourbon a few years ago. (I like Macallan, but some say that's the most bourbon-like Single Malt there is.) I thought, hmmm, I'm trying more whiskeys, my palate's getting more sophisticated; might be time to get a more peaty, smoky bottle.

I could have gone for something like Laphroaig, but I love High West's other expressions, so I bought a bottle of Campfire.

There was no love. Appreciation, perhaps, and an acknowledgement of high-quality whiskey, but it's not for me.

I think I'll keep trying it every week or so, just in small drams. But I don't see me pouring a healthy glass anytime soon.

I read a few posts about some who didn't like peaty whiskeys initially, but grew to love them.

So, how did your love of peat evolve? What did you start to notice or how did your aversion change to enjoyment?

Because right now, for me, it's like sucking on a bar of cross-country ski wax.

Enthusiast

Re: Smoky, peaty whisky. Grow to love it?

Not sure why this is posted in General Bourbon discussion but anyway...

For me, I didn't like it at first. However it could have been like I had a bad cheeseburger and swore off cheeseburgers altogether. Not all peated whiskies are created equal. Try different peaty whiskies from light to heavy like Highland Park, Springbank, Caol Isla, Talisker, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Ardbeg...etc then you start to gauge whether you really like it or not. Every whisky has a different type of peatiness to them from weak to very strong just like there are different cheeseburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Not sure why this is posted in General Bourbon discussion but anyway...
    Sorry. Mods, move as appropriate.

Trippah and Admin

Relocated to the foreign whiskey forum.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Relocated to the foreign whiskey forum.
    hmmm... ok.

High West is in Utah, but whatever.

(Campfire was the Whiskey I was talking about.)

Trippah and Admin

But whatever? Welcome to Straightbourbon.

End to end, smoky and peaty describe malts more than American whiskeys.

Is the thread about Campfire specifically or how others got past the offensive peat notes in other whiskeys in order to convince themselves that they were palatable in some way?

(Only partially joking)
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I sometimes wonder what it is that I despise so much about scotch, the peat or the barley. I still don't know. But I do know scotch makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

Taster

It just takes time. Started with Johnnie Black which made Talisker easier, which made Bowmore 12/15 easier, which made Lagavulin 16 easier, which made Ardbeg and Laphoaig awesome.

Your post is about peaty whisky, friend, that's why it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    But whatever? Welcome to Straightbourbon.

End to end, smoky and peaty describe malts more than American whiskeys.

Is the thread about Campfire specifically or how others got past the offensive peat notes in other whiskeys in order to convince themselves that they were palatable in some way?

(Only partially joking)
    Sorry, didn't mean to be pissy right off the bat. (Only that I was surprised it got moved to "foreign." No biggie.)

Anyway, yeah, kinda. It's not so much about Campfire, specifically, I guess. Really was just curious about those who weren't fans of peaty/smoky characteristics initially, who eventually grew to love it.

When I was a kid, I hated squash. I wish I could remember some epiphany, because I'm sure it would make a great story on the squash forums. But I love it now.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    I sometimes wonder what it is that I despise so much about scotch, the peat or the barley. I still don't know. But I do know scotch makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.
    There are more and more American malts coming to market that are 100% barley that are high quality and very tasty. Stranahan's out of CO is what got me hooked.

I'm not a huge peat fan myself, but the Glemo Ealanta is a great pour and in my top 10 for sure. Technically scotch, but drinks like a lightly peated single malt on the bourbon side.

Had Campfire once and swore I'd never drink it again based on my first experience. Guess that means I need to have another go at it. Tastes change; I accept that.

So I'd say it's the peat phenolics that cause that reaction. First time I had Laphroaig 10 I nearly barfed too. Next time hold your breath when you take a sip!
    Last edited by BootsOnTheGround; 07-22-2014 at 13:41.