Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

After drinking Makers Mark, Is it worth trying the Jim Beam white label?

The first bourbon I ever sipped on was Makers Mark, And it continues to be my favourite because that seems to be the best stuff I can get around here.

My options at the liquor store for Bourbon are:

Bulleit
    Devils Cut
    Jim Beam White
    Makers Mark

(I have had a bottle of Jim Beam 6 Year Old and Wild Turkey 81, Those were pretty good for the price but I cannot buy them on this island. Have to travel a few hours for these).

Devils cut was ok, Bulleit I didn't enjoy at all, and Makers Mark was the best of the bunch. But I have not tried the white label.

I prefer not to mix my Bourbon with anything else, To me that's just a waste.

Right now the benchmark for me is is Makers Mark. If I purchase the Jim Beam white label, Will I be wasting my money?

Guru

Re: After drinking Makers Mark, Is it worth trying the Jim Beam white label?

Welcome aboard Mr. B. I wouldn't say waste exactly (I would take the White label over Devil's Cut for instance) but Beam white is younger, a touch harsher, and a lower proof than Makers. It's favor profile might be preferable in some cocktails or cooking but not for drinking neat.

Could be worse though. You could be on an island that had no Bourbon at all.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome to 'the board' Mr. Bourbon! Maker's is a fine pour, if a bit over-priced in many markets.
    Jim Beam White is ubiquitous, and rather ordinary, and a bit under-proofed, but quite consistent. If the profile hits you right, it's almost certainly a bargain compared to MM. I'm with you on Bulleit. Doesn't hit my sweet spot at all; but many like it very well.
    Everybody likes what they like, and not everybody likes what somebody else finds lovely.
    Upon what island are you marooned???

Connoisseur

Of the brands listed my preference would be the Makers by a wide margin. I think most people that get JB white label buy it to mix.

Guru

Do they not offer the mini-airplane bottles wherever you are? If so, I'd buy one of those of Jim Beam White. Personally, I don't care for it - but I probably enjoy Bulleit over Makers on most nights, so who knows. Only way to find out is to try it, although if you like Makers and are satisfied with what it delivers for the price (and apparently live in "bourbon hell" to have so few options!), I wouldn't worry about it.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Welcome aboard Mr. Bourbon You may have a sweet spot for wheated bourbon. That said JBW is not that expensive so you wouldn't be out much to give it a try. It's lower middle shelf or top bottom shelf bourbon so don't expect bells and whistles but it's not drain cleaner either.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies!

I cannot even find a sample bottle of JBW here, But you can get many other brands like fireball,,,Jack Daniels. (Jack Daniels I will never buy again).

I am from Prince Edward Island, Canada. The smallest Canadian province and we are limited in many ways .

One thing I could do, Is go to a local bar and ask for a JB neat!

And Makers Mark is $44.50 here, Which is quite expensive. Import duties are just crazy.
    Last edited by Mr. Bourbon; 07-26-2014 at 08:17.

The Voshole

Just curious....do they sell Maker's 46 there? Definitely a step up from regular Maker's IMHO
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Just curious....do they sell Maker's 46 there? Definitely a step up from regular Maker's IMHO
    Nope just the regular MM.

Connoisseur

Welcome, Mr. Bourbon. PEI, huh? My wife and I have been planning to visit the Maritime Provinces for years. [Note to self: pack bourbon if we ever make the trip.] Although I'm not a regular single malt drinker, I've been curious about the Glen Breton (NS) products. Do you have any thoughts on them?

It's unfortunate that your selection of bourbons for sale is so limited. It appears that your store does stock JB products. Perhaps you could ask if they would order some JB Black which is aged 8 years and is superior to the JBW but is usually only a dollar or three more expensive per 750ml. Good luck in adding to your collection.