Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Best Bargain Bourbon?

My friends and I love to taste many of the upper-shelf expressions out there, naturally, but we're also big fans of finding lower-priced offerings.

Old Heaven Hill BIB (<$15, but haven't seen it in months)... Been so long since I've had it, I don't know that i can accurately describe it. Was it harsh? Was it sweet? I've looked everywhere for a bottle, but seems to be discontinued in these parts. (Minnesota.)

Old GrandDad BIB (<$20 for 1L)... Read that it's the same mashbill as Basil Hayden's, but aged for half as long. I totally can see that. Surprisingly smooth. Lots of spice, and well rounded. I like, and will probably always keep a bottle around.

Fighting Cock (~15 for 750)... Been a few months, but I remember it being serviceable. Not particularly complex at all and it seemed more alcoholic than its 103 proof would indicate.

Very Old Barton BIB (~$20 for 750)... Haven't tried this yet, so I probably shouldn't have it in MY list... but I plan to pick up a bottle on my next trip to the LS.

(DISCLAIMER: price can vary wildly by state, and what you find for a sub-$20 750ML in one region might be $30 in another.)

Anyway, what are your favorite budget bourbons?

Enthusiast

Re: Best Bargain Bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by veedublin View Post
    Very Old Barton BIB (~$20 for 750)... Haven't tried this yet, so I probably shouldn't have it in MY list... but I plan to pick up a bottle on my next trip to the LS.
    I like this stuff, but $20 seems high. It's $12-$15 around here.

Evan Williams BIB is a solid $15 bottle.

I can get OGD 114 for $19.99 and I like it quite a bit more than the BIB, even when cut to the same proof. It's worth the ~$5 more than the BIB imho.

I also enjoy the Old Fitzgerald BIB at around $15.
    Andrew

Taster

I really enjoy Henry McKenna BiB and a few stores around here get the store selects barrels which is decent stuff for under $25.

OWA is one of my favorits and its ~$20

Apprentice

AAA10 and 4R Yellow

Enthusiast

EWBiB. If you like the HH house style you can't beat it (in broadly available stuff anyway), right around $20 for family size.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    AAA10
    Sure, if you're in KY and have a 4-leaf clover in one pocket and a rabbit's foot in the other.

OP: you said "best" and that doesn't exist. You than asked "favorite," which I think is a better question. That said, Booker's is my favorite "bargain" bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by JDSmith619 View Post
    OWA is one of my favorits and its ~$20
    Agreed, love love love OWA, but it's more like $25 where I am. Still a great price-to-value ratio, so I have no issues adding it to the bargain list.

Buffalo Trace is good, too, but it's the same price as OWA -- so I'll take OWA over BT any day.

Enthusiast

What's the bargain threshold? I feel like EC12 is a bargain at $28 Around here I can get OGDBIB and OGD114 for under $20. 4R Yellow is around $15 typically. Old Fitz BIB handles are around $35 when I can find them. OWA handles can be had for a bit more.

I think the bargain threshold is maybe $20 for a 750. But I also think it's pretty easy to find something REALLY good for $25. And for that extra $5, I would pick REALLY good. So, let's say $15 for a 750. But shops in your part of town might force you to subscribe to a different threshold.

Yeah, I said "best" because that had better alliteration.

But, yeah, favorite.

Novice

For me it's Fighting Cock and Rebel Yell.