Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

"Your 'Craft' Whiskey is Probably being Tracked by SKU"

Today The Daily Beast includes an article by Eric Felten with the straightforward title, "Your 'Craft' Rye Whiskey is Probably from a Factory Distillery in Indiana." As you might imagine, it's about MGPI and the efforts, by companies like Templeton, to obscure the origins of their product. It's an interesting read, which is enhanced by commentary from Chuck Cowdery, Clay Risen, and SKU, who is justly described as "the most obsessive tracker of MGP whiskies" (although I might substitute the word "dogged" for "obsessive," as it has less of a Fatal Attraction vibe) and an advocate for more accurate TTB label enforcement.

So, a tip of the hat to all of our members involved, and a thank-you to SKU for all the work he's done cataloging MGPI-sourced whiskies (among many other contributions to our community). It's great to see people's whiskey proficiency acknowledged in the wider press.

Here's a link:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-indiana.html

Apprentice

Re: "Your 'Craft' Whiskey is Probably being Tracked by SKU"

Where does everyone's ire lie? With the fact that the juice is sourced or that crafts tend to front that they distilled it.

Enthusiast

I don't mean to speak for the group, Good Sir, but the latter seems to be the rub. Some who are upfront, Smooth Ambler and High West seem to get mentioned most often, are generally well regarded.

Advanced Taster

I think it's because the distilleries selling these products strongly imply that these are handcrafted boutique bottles, much like the microbreweries do. It's not hard to find out that Blue Moon is made by Coors, but what if Coors supplied beer to a bunch of local microbrews that have fancy beer tanks in their lobbies and pass their product off as their own. It's deliberately designed to mislead, without outright lying, to consumers.

Does that sound right?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    I don't mean to speak for the group, Good Sir, but the latter seems to be the rub. Some who are upfront, Smooth Ambler and High West seem to get mentioned most often, are generally well regarded.
    That's a fair recap.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Disciple

Thanks for the link. Nice read.

This isn't just whiskey, it's the entire booze business. Brands are built on marketing dollars and romance along with some smoke and mirrors.

That cheap vodka that you think comes from the distillery with its name on the label? Chances are its distilled as Grain Neutral Spirits in St. Louis or Indiana and tanked to your favorite distillery, an additive added to call it vodka or gin. If it's a premium brand, they might redistill it once and then bottle it.

Taster

Nicely researched and presented article. It is heartening to see some of the bourbon "insiders" contributing. I think as more and more people turn to the internet for information, the Templeton's will have a much harder time fleecing consumers via marketing schemes. It won't stop, but perhaps they won't be as successful.

I have no problem saying I love some non-distiller produced products. Companies like High West simply have good taste. They present great/fun whiskies.

Enthusiast

What thebwood said. I have several NDP products that are repeat purchases due to flavor so it is not the source that puts me off. Rather, it's the opportunism of suggesting I am getting one thing while I am getting something else. Not sure why I think that's bad, but I do even if I like what I'm getting.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    This isn't just whiskey, it's the entire booze business. Brands are built on marketing dollars and romance along with some smoke and mirrors.
    More like the entire world economy.

*This typed on an Apple iPhone that's not made by Apple but has Apples name on it, benefits from that brand, the allure of the marketing that it's paid for etc.*

Has anyone dug up the history on the "author" yet? There's more to this than meets the eye. It's ev-re-where today. I've seen it 5 times on Fakebook. Seems like a hit piece or a coordinated effort on part of some special interest group. For real.

Also, not a single mention of Willett. Why?