Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 8/14: Blanton's

I like Blanton's a lot, but at approximately half the price, ETL is nearly indistinguishable (actually I think it has a better longer finish) to my palate. I had one store selection of Blanton's that I thought was significantly better than the standard bottles I've purchased.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    the consistency of a great many bottom and 'one-step-up' offerings from the big distillers indicates an attention to the process that should be the envy of all who love Bourbon.... Not, denigrated for being 'working class', or ordinary. There are so many excellent quality Bourbons on the bottom, and mid shelves, it's almost impossible name 'em all.
    Can we at least denigrate them until I've got them bunkered?

Disciple

Saw a Blanton's today for $69.99. A new era is upon us.

Yes I passed.

Taster

Yowsers! And I was ticked when the long-term special price from the big store chain went from $40 to $50.

But $70? Sheesh!

Guru

seems to me that only BT products are seeing these price hikes. yet another reason to buy the other distiller's stuff
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    I would be interested to know if the 1999 bottle has an earthy grass finish that was common to many BT offerings of the time. I know that many found it off putting. It is no longer there, and I miss it.
    Tonight, while watching Okie State turnover a coulda-been upset...

2014 - light gold color; nose sweet; taste mild, slightly woody; horsey shiny w/ letter "T."

1999 - darker color, closer to copper; nose alcohol; taste milder, though much woodier, kept looking for the old BT grassiness but couldn't really pick it out; horsey dull w/ no letter at all, plus a different hangtag marked '93, in the traditional bag and old green box. Cork will need replacing pronto.

I brought these two to a comparo at a recent "Dallas" Bourbon Social, and guests found the differences minimal, but slightly preferred the 2014. Tonight, I did as well at first, but I'm starting to prefer the finish of the '99 (the taste giving way to a punchier finish, perhaps b/c of its milder start).

Oh, and the '99 was cheaper, too.

Enthusiast

Just in case the idea might not have crossed your mind, remember the bottles are rather unique. My wife uses them as vases for small numbers of flowers. I'm trying to think of a way to cut them just past the opening and create book holders out of them after glueing to a wood frame.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Connoisseur

FWIW, Virginia ABC Stores I visit (I-95 corridor WashDC to Richmond) have Blanton's in 750s ($56) and 375s ($23), but I've not seen more than two of each on the shelf at any one time. Montgomery County MD stores advertise 750s for $45, but I haven't visited any for awhile so don't know if it's actually available.

Advanced Taster

Finally opened the Blanton's last night that I have had for several months. It was my second pour of the night and followed a Sazerac 6yr Rye. That was probably a mistake, I love the Sazerac and it made the Blanton's taste very mild. Almost too mild. I will have to try the Blanton's first next time and see if it offers me a little more flavor, finish and depth. If not I probably will not replace it, especially at $50 or more.

Advanced Taster

I would love to try some up to snuff Blanton's, unfortunately all the Blanton's in Taiwan (that I have found) has a serious case of cork taint.