Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 8/14: Blanton's

havent had it in a while.....from what I remember, I enjoyed the nose, mouthfeel, and taste, but the aftertaste fell short far too quickly....which left you with a dilemma: stop drinking it and move onto something else, or avoid the short aftertaste by keeping on drinking it and getting f#@ked up. The price ultimately pushed me toward the former. While good, I think if this was in a regular 'ol bottle, it would be properly priced at $35, not $50-55.

That said, I would without a doubt buy a 'straight from the barrel' barrel proof version of this if I saw it while vacationing overseas.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Virtuoso

I really like Blanton's. At it's old price of around $50 I only purchased a bottle once, maybe twice a year.

Now that the price has gone up to close to $60 a bottle (coupled with the fact that it is increasingly hard to find) I can't see any reason to purchase it should I even come across a bottle. There are too many as good if not better bourbons out there for half its current price.

Novice

I had a Blanton's nightcap at a cafe overlooking the Seine in Paris. I had to show the waiter the listing on the menu! Really enjoyed it. Two nights later I asked for it again but they said they were out. It's on my buy list, if nothing else it will remind me of a nice night in Paris.

Connoisseur

I remembered a 'new' (unopened) bottle that's been sitting behind a few other things in my bunker when I saw Blanton's is BOTM.
    I said to myself; "Self, get that sucka down and crack it open!" I have not had a bottle of Blanton's open for about 4-months. I remembered it as being refined, balanced and a bit 'oily' on the palate. This one is a bit underwhelming on the nose (a disappointment, since I love the nose of good Bourbon). BUT, once into the old pie-hole... welllllll, .....right in the groove! A nearly perfectly balanced and delicately nuanced profile, with a 'silky' mouthfeel (tip of the hat to Smokinjoe); worthy of the reputation and the price. ....And, the finish: WOW! Just what I remembered. Very nice pour! I shall revisit in a few days now that a few pours have let in a little air. I bet the nose comes up bigtime. Hope so.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I really like Blanton's. At it's old price of around $50 I only purchased a bottle once, maybe twice a year.

Now that the price has gone up to close to $60 a bottle (coupled with the fact that it is increasingly hard to find) I can't see any reason to purchase it should I even come across a bottle. There are too many as good if not better bourbons out there for half its current price.
    Yowsers!
    $60?

It was $40 here for quite some time (TotalWine and Costco) and I would buy it because I think it is an excellent pour. But now that it is the same price ($50 at TotalWine) as Bookers I go for the Bookers EVERY time.

Virtuoso

I like it quite a bit. Unfortunately, I just can't afford it these days.

Enthusiast

Blanton's was my gateway drug into the world of higher-end bourbon. Yeah, I'd had the basic stuff and didn't mind them but why would I go out of my way to have some bourbon when I've got some outstanding beers available. Then my brother-in-law poured us all a glass while we were sitting on the front porch of a house we'd rented while on vacation. Wow. Simply wow. Wonderful balance - the alcohol was there but not overpowering. It was sweet but not too sweet. It was perfect.

That was several years ago and despite my tastes developing as I experience a wider variety of bourbons, I still rank Blanton's high on my list. The balance it strikes is simply perfect. I'm dying for a Straight From the Barrel as that's about the only thing I wish was different (higher proof). It's my wife's "time to celebrate" bourbon and on my short list, mainly because it's consistently a high quality bourbon, bottle after bottle.

From the mashbill thread, I've grabbed Rock Hill Farms since it had the same mashbill and while there was some resemblance, I guess there's just something about Warehouse H that just turns BT #2 into liquid magic.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    Damnit! 4-5 months ago, I had concluded that while nice, this bourbon wasn't interesting enough to warrant the price. Now it's BOTM. I'm still a newb, working my way through all the different house styles and their variants. Is it possible I came to a conclusion to quickly on this one? You're going to make go out and buy another bottle, aren't you?
    My local pricing is $55 - $59 now and while not that much money the last time I had a bottle I put it on the negative side of my meh meter.

In fact I wouldn't buy another bottle if it was in the $30 -$35 range. But that's just me and I'm an old fart.

Advanced Taster

It's gone up quite a bit around here and availability has gone down as well. About a year ago, it could be had for $39.99-$54.99. I did see some at Sam's Club recently for $48, but most places are above $50 and even as high as $59.99. It's certainly a fantastic pour, but not something I buy on a regular basis.

Novice

Ah perfect timing. I just bought my first bottle last week here in MN at Total Wine for $45. It's my 60th birthday (today) and we are cracking that baby open this Saturday night. Happy Birthday to me!! I've always wanted to try some, I will report back. I also bought a bottle of Elmer T that magically showed up on their shelves too. Elmer T was my favorite, but maybe that will change.