Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 8/14: Blanton's

Happy B-day!

I have NEVER seen Elmer on a shelf!
    I had some in a bar in Wyoming and it was wonderful so I really am anxious to buy a bottle.

Enthusiast

I just took a look at the BOTM and found it was for Blanton's. Funny that was my pour of choice last night. It has always been one of my go to bottles when I don't want to over think what I should have have.
    However the bottle I have now has not been my favorite one, that is the chance you get when you buy single barrels.
    I have nine empty bottles laying around and the one I have now just is has not been my favorite.
    So what am I doing about it?
    I am trying to finish it as fast as I can so I can go out an get a new one, in hopes that I like it better.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place

Advanced Taster

Blanton's was my first high end Bourbon and is still a favorite. Fortunately I heard about the different horses and searched and procured all eight before prices started to go up, so the bunker is well stocked.

Guru

I would gladly complain about the price, if there was any to be found on local shelves. Bare, empty. Devoid of not only Blanton's, but all things Buffalo Trace.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gburger View Post
    I am trying to finish it as fast as I can so I can go out an get a new one, in hopes that I like it better.
    When I do that, I end up falling in love with the "bad" bottle and feeling sorry it is all gone.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

I may try everything under the sun, but Blantons is like a warm blanket. I always come back to it and it always treats me right.

Enthusiast

Gonna be a hater and say there are so many values out there for $50 that Blandtons is basically never a choice for me. If I were fault BT for doing anything along the lines of making anything to specifically please the 50+ crowd with a 'smooth and easy' product, Blanton's it is. Screw honoring some dead guy or appealing to anything with the bottle and silly velvet bag, you're making a $25 bourbon and selling it for double.

I'm just glad I have some aged stated Blandtons on the bar that I don't feel abused to drink: AAA 10 year.

Ahhh, that feels better.

Connoisseur

Blanton's was also my gateway into bourbon.

A friend who at the time knew way more than I did about whiskey and whisky poured us a glass of Blanton's back in the mid-2000s. I remember being impressed by how light and subtle the taste was. It poured in like water, and great taste bloomed out of it from there. I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it today, but that's how I remember describing the experience then.

Later, I went through a period where my body didn't tolerate Blanton's very well. I felt it gave me heartburn, and a nasty hangover. I'm not sure what the problem was in this period, but the lesson is that our body changes and goes through phases, and what is undrinkable now may be again wonderful later, and vice versa. None of this is the bourbon's fault, of course.

Mostly because of that period, I haven't hit the Blanton's for a long while. But just last week I bought a Blanton's Gold while overseas, and I have to say - this bourbon is delicious. My friends and I sipped it and sipped it. Everything in balance. Like ETL on steroids. Next time I go back I'm going for the barrel strength.

I'm back working at sea now, but the experience with the Gold has motivated me to go for another bottle of regular Blanton's and re-visit when I get back to Texas.

tbt

Apprentice

Last August it disappeared from Austin shelves for many months. The first bottle that reappeared I bought and was disappointed with in comparison to some I had at a near 5-star hotel in Dallas a few months before I started searching for a bottle. There is some preference given by distributors for known great barrels. I have no proof of this other than known rare items only being allocated for certain restaurants and bars.
    I'm not going to buy a bottle again in the near future, but will be staying at the same hotel this weekend and paying $14 for a pour.

Connoisseur

Blanton's used to be Mrs. F's "birthday bourbon" but she has migrated towards Booker's in recent years. Poured some Blanton's last night and was reminded that the rich, creamy mouth feel was one of the attributes that attracted us in the first place.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.