Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Abraham Bowman jumps the shark???

From SKU's latest blog post it appears Abraham Bowman has put out a label for 7yo (if the dates are to be believed) "Vanilla Bean Bourbon". It is early yet and it is not a 70pf liqueur like most flavored concoctions are but this one is a little disconcerting.

Maybe it will be better than it sounds at first glance. One can only hope.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Re: Abraham Bowman jumps the shark???

Wow a flavored bourbon. I'm a huge Bowman fan but this has me nervous. I'm going to head down there next week and try to get a taste. Scared that they'll still charge $70

Virtuoso

Is it bourbon? The label statement is "Vanilla Bean Flavored Whiskey" but then there is a line for "description" which says "vanilla bean bourbon." My suspicion is that it is bourbon, but there may have been some haggling with TTB over the terms.

I'd be disappointed if this was bourbon that was infused with vanilla extract after maturation, but I doubt that's the case. Rather, I suspect that chopped vanilla beans were added to the spirit during maturation (similar to what is done when making vanilla bitters). The interesting question is when the beans were added, i.e., for the length of the maturation or towards the end of maturation (as might be done when finishing a bourbon in port barrels).

If that's the case, and I hope it is, I'd guess for several months at the end. The new Bowman brands have only been around 4 years or so.

Connoisseur

I recall the process they used on their ginger beer finish (which, if one ignores price, turned out OK imo) and wonder if this is similar - redistill the BT base then put in barrels w/beans and age. I don't care for most commercially infused vodkas, but I have made my own, including vanilla bean, so am cautiously optimistic - if I can do it, they can, too. But like VAG, I may pass on this one depending on price.

In the meantime, I opened a bunkered JJ Bowman SB 100 proof yesterday (before I read this thread or SKU's blog). I may pour a bit and add a drop or two of Nielson-Massey vanilla extract. I'm depending on VAG to report on his distillery run so I don't have to (smile).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I recall the process they used on their ginger beer finish (which, if one ignores price, turned out OK imo) and wonder if this is similar - redistill the BT base then put in barrels w/beans and age. I don't care for most commercially infused vodkas, but I have made my own, including vanilla bean, so am cautiously optimistic - if I can do it, they can, too. But like VAG, I may pass on this one depending on price.

In the meantime, I opened a bunkered JJ Bowman SB 100 proof yesterday (before I read this thread or SKU's blog). I may pour a bit and add a drop or two of Nielson-Massey vanilla extract. I'm depending on VAG to report on his distillery run so I don't have to (smile).
    Could be. But if it was some kind of barrel finish I would have thought they would say so with something like Vanilla Bean Barrel Finished Bourbon similar to the Gingerbread Beer version. Will just have to wait and see.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    ...but there may have been some haggling with TTB over the terms.
    But, "...haggling with TTB" would suggest that TTB actually knows the correct terms to haggle over...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Could be. But if it was some kind of barrel finish I would have thought they would say so with something like Vanilla Bean Barrel Finished Bourbon similar to the Gingerbread Beer version. Will just have to wait and see.
    Noted. Thanks. The problem with the COLAs is they are sometimes placeholders - details to be adjusted later. As I think about it more, you are right, though; they would have said something like "barrel finished".

Enthusiast

There's no such thing as a vanilla bean barrel, so I don't think they could write that. It would have to be matured with vanilla beans or something to that effect.