Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Simple question about Van Winkle bourbon

If the Van Winkle family is upset about the resale market on their bourbon and wants the "everyman" and hopefully enthusiasts to be able to procure it, is there a way for us SB'ers to be able to negotiate something directly? I know the three-tier spirits distribution system makes it hard for individuals to purchase directly from distillers. But surely there's something we could do! Some sort of subscription, like 2 bottles each? One to drink now, one to keep for later. Maybe it would be a bit like those "wine of the month" clubs.

Or maybe we could make our own "Van Blankle" by going in on a barrel... Van SBlankle?

I'm just thinking aloud as a result of mulling some of the issues surrounding the PVW availability. I don't even have it on my radar because it's so unlikely to surface for a reasonable price.

Virtuoso

Re: Simple question about Van Winkle bourbon

Unfortunately that ship had sailed. Private barrels of Vanwinkle are a thing of the past. Vanwinkles don't control who gets the bottles and distributors need to make big commercial customers happy with an allocation (however small). We are the little guy. I'm ok with that
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Advanced Taster

Probably hard to believe but even only being really into bourbon since last year I have no interest in ever trying this. I enjoy bourbons I can find, and I especially like ones that fly under the radar, are affordable, and are only known about by the true fans who know how good they are. I can't stand the hipster mantra surrounding PVW, and how everyone who gets into whiskey even temporarily has to talk about pappy. they jumped the shark a long time ago, and I wouldn't even buy one at MSRP if I saw it. Its just a huge turn-off how they've used a cool-guy campaign to boost this shit up. Christ its buffalo trace juice.

Advanced Taster

Well, that's true. I've enjoyed S-W OWA 7/107, OF BiB 1992, 1950's, 1960's, OF prime 86 from the 70's, and probably a few others. I'm curious to experience the current ORVW also, because I have an older 15yr S-W bottle that I'd like to compare it against.

I agree about the hype, and about not buying into it. However, most of my friends, when they have 1/2 oz of knowledge and drink bourbon, are talking about the PVW and the others. So sue me if I'm at least a little curious!

Advanced Taster

Yep, like RM said... private selection are a thing of the past. I believe at one time SB did get to pick out a 23 year. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by jmj_203 View Post
    Probably hard to believe but even only being really into bourbon since last year I have no interest in ever trying this. I enjoy bourbons I can find, and I especially like ones that fly under the radar, are affordable, and are only known about by the true fans who know how good they are. I can't stand the hipster mantra surrounding PVW, and how everyone who gets into whiskey even temporarily has to talk about pappy. they jumped the shark a long time ago, and I wouldn't even buy one at MSRP if I saw it. Its just a huge turn-off how they've used a cool-guy campaign to boost this shit up. Christ its buffalo trace juice.
    I completely agree with you and also do not hunt for PVW. I was fortunate to go into a bar that had both the 15 and 20 year at a very reasonable price so I tried those. But if personally ever stumbled across one at MSRP, I wouldn't even think twice and buy it. So if you ever see one, buy it for me then

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Your question is based on a false premise. The Van Winkle family is not "upset about the resale market on their bourbon and wants the 'everyman' and hopefully enthusiasts to be able to procure it." Family members often marvel at what has happened with their brand, but they are not upset about it.

Connoisseur

I keep wondering, a lot of the OWA and W12 has dried up. Is stock being held back for a tsunami of PVW in the future? It makes business sense. The only risk could be consumers tastes changing in the time it takes. We could even end up with another glut.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Your question is based on a false premise. The Van Winkle family is not "upset about the resale market on their bourbon and wants the 'everyman' and hopefully enthusiasts to be able to procure it." Family members often marvel at what has happened with their brand, but they are not upset about it.
    I think I got the idea off a bourbon blog. The supposed anger came from the perception of the secondary market, and to the "flippers" who clear stock out of retail stores to resell it, denying availability to the 'everyman'. I can't find the original source. I stand corrected!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Thank you!

Id like to buy you a decanter set with no Pappy juice in a pretty wood box but I'm short $850.

Advanced Taster

The only way to prevent the secondary market is to have each store demand that customers who buy bottles of PVW crack the seals before they leave. Who could even enforce such a thing, I don't know, but it would prevent resale. No one on ebay would buy a Pappy with a cracked seal. Stores could also enforce a limit of one bottle each to prevent massive hoarding and flipping.

I think the antique collection blows Pappy away, both are hard to find and both cost more than I am willing to spend. I stick to what is available and under $40.
    -Guy Debord