Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Unexpected Blind Tasting Results

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Did a little vacationing with some long time friends last week (roughly 1000 times less stressful than family vacations, just FYI). We did some big blind tastings each night and had a pretty broad range of tastes. A scotch guy, a casual drinker, a high proof lover, and a general whiskey guy who's usually a little too eager to try new labels on the market.

The most interesting thing we found is that across the board, and over two night we all liked the standard Beam white label more than the Beam black. We were all fairly surprised by this, thinking ahead of time that we'd prefer the extra age, but at least with a couple attempts we didn't. In general we found it more lively, a bit sweeter on the taste, and having a lot nicer finish.

Share some of your interesting/unexpected blind tasting results?
    Great thread! And for the record, I completely agree with your findings! I do think alot of people review with their eyes as well as their other senses!

Although, since I'm admittedly cheap, I do think the comparisons I make could be clouded by me wanting the cheaper stuff to prevail over the more expensive names. Sort of a bias in reverse! I have long preferred ETL over Blantons and Kirkland's over KC...perhaps I should have the wife mix these up to see what conclusions can be drawn!

Guru

my last blind tasting, I put OGDBIB over WT101, but barely. Yet somehow, I never can stand OGDBIB and find it nearly undrinkable. Even after the tasting, for weeks I tried to give it more chances, but ended up giving away the OGD as I still couldnt enjoy it. I cant explain that.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Guru

There there Doug, it's going to be alright.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Everything goes a little better with OGD.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    my last blind tasting, I put OGDBIB over WT101, but barely. Yet somehow, I never can stand OGDBIB and find it nearly undrinkable. Even after the tasting, for weeks I tried to give it more chances, but ended up giving away the OGD as I still couldnt enjoy it. I cant explain that.
    Sounds to me like you might enjoy a vatting of OGDBIB and WT101.
    Andrew