Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT Mash Bill #1

Advanced Taster

BT Mash Bill #1

Hi All,
    I am wondering if anyone has had all Buffalo Trace mash bill #1 and what they think about them as a cohesive line up.

Additionally, do I have this correct?

Buffalo Trace 6-8 years old
    Old Charter 6-8 years old
    Benchmark 8 years old
    Eagle Rare 10 years old single barrel
    George Stagg Jr. 9 years old barrel proof
    CEHTaylor Singe barrel, barrel proof, small batch
    George Stagg 15 years old barrel proof

I think it would be fun to taste BT, ER, StaggJr, and Stagg in one sitting.
    -Guy Debord

Connoisseur

Re: BT Mash Bill #1

Stagg Jr. is NAS and I'd guess probably close to the same age as standard BT, and Benchmark is no longer age stated. If anything, Old Charter is probably older juice than Benchmark.

Might as well add ER17 to your tasting lineup.
    Andrew

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Debord View Post
    Hi All,
    Eagle Rare 10 years old single barrel
    ER10 is no longer single barrel, its "small batch". Still plenty of the SB around and will be for years, but if you're going for accuracy there it is.

Enthusiast

Stagg Sr will vary in age from year to year.

I thought EHT was around 11 years old?

There's a lot of bad attitude toward Stagg Jr. I'd personally love to see batch 1 and 2 go up against various years of Sr, all mixed up, totally blind, some with water added to match proof, some not. If nothing more than to show the bourbon Elite they're a bunch of trend followers and couldn't taste if their life depended on it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    ...Benchmark is no longer age stated...
    To be a bit more specific, Benchmark is stated on the neck label to be aged "at least 36 months".

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    Stagg Sr will vary in age from year to year.

I thought EHT was around 11 years old?

There's a lot of bad attitude toward Stagg Jr. I'd personally love to see batch 1 and 2 go up against various years of Sr, all mixed up, totally blind, some with water added to match proof, some not. If nothing more than to show the bourbon Elite they're a bunch of trend followers and couldn't taste if their life depended on it.
    I'm not sure who this "bourbon elite" is that you keep referring to? Personally, I feel that one who is armed with sufficient knowledge and experience to realize what they like, where they may get it for a price they are willing to pay and how to enjoy it are experiencing true "bourbon elite" status.

To me and I feel most other who have had similar experience, it's not about the name or how much it costs. If that's the group you're referring to, I'd call them a lot of things, but bourbon elite is not one of them.

Anywho, any of you bourbon elitists out there who may be reading can have all the Stagg, Pappy and three figure NDP bourbon you want. The more you are focused on that, the less competition you are to me.

On topic: I like both BT mash bills, but would pick #2 for a lengthy stay on a desert island. As to which one is the better of the bunch....aren't they all the same?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

As a matter of principle, I would advise people to only list ages when the product is age-stated, i.e., has the age on the label. Mixing together age-stated ages and ages somebody told somebody, even if that somebody was official, renders it all useless. If it's age-stated, state the age. If it's not, put NAS.

Advanced Taster

I completely forgot ER17, which does bring up a question. What is the difference between GTS and ER17? Is it proof or age? Why is GTS lauded so heavily? I guess it just tastes better?

I would love to taste all of these. Many on this board have. I've only had BT, ER10, and StaggJr and I really like them.

Old Charter
    Benchmark
    Buffalo Trace
    Eagle Rare10
    Eagle Rare17 BP
    George T. Stagg Jr. BP
    George T. Stagg BP
    CEHTaylor SmB, SB, BP
    -Guy Debord

Enthusiast

According to metadata searches, GTS is the most sought-after bourbon there is. Ahead of PVW and the rest.

The 2013 Stagg barrel dump was 157 barrels
    The 2013 ER17 barrel dump was 23 barrels

I've argued before, especially with ETL and other BT products, it has almost nothing to do with the underlying facts of production quantity, quality, mashbill, etc....and everything to do with perception. Bubbles are not rational, humans chase price and yet while price continues to double in shorter and shorter time periods, many will still deny whats really happening, blame the boogyman and other related nonsense.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    According to metadata searches, GTS is the most sought-after bourbon there is. Ahead of PVW and the rest.

The 2013 Stagg barrel dump was 157 barrels
    The 2013 ER17 barrel dump was 23 barrels

I've argued before, especially with ETL and other BT products, it has almost nothing to do with the underlying facts of production quantity, quality, mashbill, etc....and everything to do with perception. Bubbles are not rational, humans chase price and yet while price continues to double in shorter and shorter time periods, many will still deny whats really happening, blame the boogyman and other related nonsense.
    I think that's right, though the GTS bubble does have an underlying logic. In a time when "overproof" whiskey is so popular, GTS has a reputation as the biggest, baddest, boldest bourbon around.