Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2014: Black Vlevet

My parents drank Canadian Club and always considered Black Velvet as a "step up" for guests. But that was 40+ years ago....

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Black Velvet has always had a special place in my heart. My dad always had a bottle in the cabinet, and it was his "special occasion" go to. So, I usually have one around. I've always liked the Black and Gold label. Gives it a certain no-nonsense upscale brand image.
    Also, It's hard to argue with a brand that has had the selection of gorgeous spokeswomen as BV. . Christie Brinkley, Cheryl Tiegs, Cybill Shepherd, Kelly Emberg, and the new gal Tami Donaldson. Saaaamokin'...... Some folks like their foreign whisky posing with a pretty glass...I prefer BV's strategy of posing the whisky with a pretty girl...

That said, it's a typical Canadian whiskey. Sweetish, mild, and with a healthy dose of caramel. But , there's a bit of bite to BV that makes it a little more interesting than most. Nothing to write home about when drinking neat, but more than suitable as a mixer. I will seek out the 8 yr based on Josh's positive comments on it, though. I do look forward to drinking the next 200ml of it straight from the bottle...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Novice

I hadn't had this before so I picked some up standard Black Velvet. Ethanol is dominant in both the nose and the taste. Under the ethanol I taste and smell apples, vanilla, and honey. For how much it touts its smoothness, it seems to be pretty harsh for 80 proof.

I think it's biggest problem is its youth. If the extra age of the eight year old mellows down those ethanol notes and helps the flavor that's already here, I could see this being enjoyable for someone who is interested in a lighter, fruity whiskey.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    ...It's hard to argue with a brand that has had the selection of gorgeous spokeswomen as BV. . Christie Brinkley, Cheryl Tiegs, Cybill Shepherd, Kelly Emberg, and the new gal Tami Donaldson. Saaaamokin'......
    Joe, You forgot about Telly Savalas, Larry Hagman and George Burns appearing in ads for it too. And though I've never had it, if those ladies endorsed it, so am I .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Novice

Danfield's 21 years is the "all grown up" version of Black Velvet.
    Df21 is distilled and bottled at the BV facility in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada; The label is owned by IB, Williams and Church.
    This expression possesses all the desired characteristics of a fine Canadian sipping whisky - the nose is terrific - rye floral notes, baking spices, wet cedar and wildberries. The mouthfeel is creamy.
    The baking spices translate from the nose to the palate - nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, some mild heat/black pepper followed by ginger/citrus sourness which are offset by toffee and caramel. There is a nice balance to this whisky. The finish is dry and clean and leaves you wanting one more.
    A very nice, easy sipping whisky. This is what I like to give as a gift for birthdays...at least there'll be one good bottle in the house
    "Great whiskey can be enjoyed by all, but good whiskey shared with friends becomes legend. " - paddockjudge

Connoisseur

Well dang, guess I'll have to buy a bottle. Funny, I don't think I've spent less than $80 on any of my last few bottles of whisky, $8.50 seems like a steal

Guru

Buy two just in case you like it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Buy two just in case you like it.
    Good idea, otherwise I might miss out on it... it is on allocation, right?

Worst case I can always marinate with it. I used to use only Makers Mark for my steak marinade, this would be much cheaper overall

Taster

I have a fifth of BV that I can't stand. It's harsh and medicinal with little to no flavor. It's cheap, and I will only ever finish my bottle by mixing it or cooking with it.

YMMV of course, I just find it...less than memorable.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey. But I have found that the ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games." - Casey Stengal

Enthusiast

A friend of mine was a bar-back, back in the 90s at a local college bar, and they use to take black velvet and poor it in the empty Crown Royal bottles. Of course this is illegal but...... No one ever caught on to it. I have to say that I would take the black velvet eight-year-old over the standard Crown Royal.