Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Four Roses yellow label

What is the average age on the juice in this bottle? Any of you out there use this as a sipper or is it more of a mixer?

Connoisseur

Four Roses yellow label

Since it's a blend of all ten recipes it's hard to conjecture on the age. Considering its labeled Straight with no age statement the only thing we know is everything in it is at least 4 years old. I think its probably used mostly in cocktails, but it's not bad stuff for sipping either. My only knock on it is the low proof.
    Last edited by petrel800; 08-17-2014 at 07:15.

Guru

Re: Four Roses yellow label

I want to say around six based on some JR comments. Anybody here remember asking Jim?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Barrel Proof Yellow Label would be epic.

Enthusiast

Too low in proof for sippin' for me, but use it when I make wifey's bourbon and ginger ale.

Disciple

A year ago I really enjoyed this but now the proof is to low for my current taste so I've been enjoying 4RSmb & 4RSB.

Guru

Put me in the camp of dreaming of a higher proof FRYL I enjoyed the one bottle I've owned, but just too low of proof for what I enjoy.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

I drink it at one of the bars I frequent. Their selection isnt great, but the location is. Right on the river with a huge deck. If I ask nice they will even put it in the refrigerator for me. When Im in the mood for something lighter it hits the spot.
    Im a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.

The Voshole

I'm a big fan of FRYL and always will be. Like many, if not most people on this site, I've got bourbon's ranging from 80 to 130+ proof and some days I like to relax, have an good, easy sipping whiskey, and not concern myself with trying to over analyze it. This is a fine bourbon regardless of proof and price, IMHO.

I've also found that for me it's a good one to have when trying out a new cigar and I want to have some bourbon while picking apart the new stogie

While the private selections are by far my favorite FR's, you'll always find an open YL in my house.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Put me in the camp of dreaming of a higher proof FRYL I enjoyed the one bottle I've owned, but just too low of proof for what I enjoy.
    I'm in that camp. I like FRYL, but after drinking FRSmB and FRSB, FRYL seems bland. If they ever made FR using all ten recipes in the 96-107 proof range, that stuff would be OUTSTANDING.

Having watched the interview with Rutledge on Sour Mash Manifesto (blog), I suspect if FR comes out with a new product, it'll be a rye whiskey. I'd prefer a YL 100 proof, however.