Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty hunting

Apprentice

Dusty hunting

I'm looking for suggestions on what has been recently discontinued and is worth looking for. I'm taking a trip to northern Minnesota from minneapolis and will hit some smaller liquor stores along the way. I know distribution varies but what should I look for? One I know for sure is any heaven hill as this has dissapered entirely in the metro area.

Enthusiast

Re: Dusty hunting

Hi Dave,

Answering this question is way too difficult, and it is generally expected that you do some searching around first.

The best way to learn how to spot a rare bottle is to just keep going into stores and staring at the bottles until you start to subconsciously register what are the usual suspects and what the outliers are.

The good news is, this is a lot of fun. Don't forget to buy a few that appeal to you to taste along the way!

Edit: Along the way of your bourbon journey...not the drive to Minnesota!
    Last edited by The Black Tot; 08-19-2014 at 21:18.

Virtuoso

Eagle rare 10 just went from single barrel to small batch. VOB 100 just lost its age statement. Old chater 10 year and HH 6 year white label are drying up. Those are the recents. Good luck
    And happy hunting
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

I would look for HH 8 year old. MN was one of the few places that used to get it. Mostly I would say just buy items that you can't get locally.

Guru

Hey Dave, searching for dustys in out of the way places is a lot like fishing new waters which is to say not very productive but always a pleasant way to pass time. I shy away from NDPs in their gussied up dress because their seductive packaging aside MGP whisky is pretty much the same no matter who's bottle it's in so instead of a new taste experience you may wind up overpaying for the same old one.

I look for older expressions of standards like Grand Dad, Taylor, Harper, Charter, et al, partly because they're good and partly because there's a better chance I'll find some, and that far North seek out other formerly common brands such as Old Hickory, Old Quaker, Ten High (not the new version), Cabin Still and the Walker brands, particularly Walkers Deluxe 8 year old 100 proof Bottled in Bond. Come to think of it 8 year Bottled in Bond is a good guideline generally. The 3 year old Fleischman's Rye is worth it's novelty value. I wouldn't turn down 80 proof grade whiskys if they're old enough, cheap enough and have tax stamps. 80 proof doesn't get much respect around here but a well crafted 4 year old version can be very decent and if not ginger ale drowns a lot of sins.

I usually approach the counter with a purchase in hand to establish myself as a paying customer before asking about any old dusty bottles in back.
    Last edited by squire; 08-20-2014 at 08:34.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Great advice, Squire. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Hey Dave, searching for dustys in out of the way places is a lot like fishing new waters which is to say not very productive but always a pleasant way to pass time. I shy away from NDPs in their gussied up dress because their seductive packaging aside MGP whisky is pretty much the same no matter who's bottle it's in so instead of a new taste experience you may wind up overpaying for the same old one.

I look for older expressions of standards like Grand Dad, Taylor, Harper, Charter, et al, partly because they're good and partly because there's a better chance I'll find some, and that far North seek out other formerly common brands such as Old Hickory, Old Quaker, Ten High (not the new version), Cabin Still and the Walker brands, particularly Walkers Deluxe 8 year old 100 proof Bottled in Bond. Come to think of it 8 year Bottled in Bond is a good guideline generally. The 3 year old Fleischman's Rye is worth it's novelty value. I wouldn't turn down 80 proof grade whiskys if they're old enough, cheap enough and have tax stamps. 80 proof doesn't get much respect around here but a well crafted 4 year old version can be very decent and if not ginger ale drowns a lot of sins.

I usually approach the counter with a purchase in hand to establish myself as a paying customer before asking about any old dusty bottles in back.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    HH 6 year white label are drying up.
    I didnt know the 6 year white label was available in MN, just the 8 year 86 proof. I know the day will come when the 6 year BIB goes away, but Im hoping its later rather than sooner.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I didnt know the 6 year white label was available in MN, just the 8 year 86 proof. I know the day will come when the 6 year BIB goes away, but Im hoping its later rather than sooner.
    I believe your right...I have only seen the 4 yr gold BIB. Although lately HH has disappeared.

Advanced Taster

Best of luck. Myself I've been passively dusty hunting by slowly visiting all the liquor stores in a large radius around me and some that I that I randomly pass by.
    I've yet to really find anything particularly interesting, but I think it's helping me learn the area .

Apprentice

I have tried to read everything that is out there on SD and the interwebz in general regarding dusty hunting.

It seems to me that there are two ingredients:

1. You have to find a store that actually has dusties. The conventional wisdom is that your best shot of doing so is in the less economically-advantaged neighborhoods of large metro areas. (For me, that is a challenge since I don't live in a metro area.) The other indicator is liquor stores that do not show up on Google, which I assume increases the chances that they have not been pillaged by another dusty hunter before you got there.

2. Assuming the store has dusties, you have to find a way to get access to them. At the back of the bottom shelf behind the counter, or in the back room of the store somewhere. Neither place is easy access and so you have to develop your interpersonal skills as they apply to talking to liquor store counter persons.

This is a dual challenge, since when you are not successful you don't know if the store you are in has dusties and your "charm" was insufficient to get access to them, or if the store simply has no dusties and you are wasting your charm on a dry hole.

Just sort of thinking about it. I enjoy the idea that dusties are out there, even though I personally have not found any as of yet.