Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Jack of All Nations

Tennessee whiskey is the export king...but bourbon scores respectable 35% growth in the last 5 years.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...1049&rfi=6

Omar

Connoisseur

Re: Jack of All Nations

It seems possible they are confusing the words whiskey and bourbon in this article
    The state (Tennessee) has become America's largest exporter of bourbon
    does not seem plausible.

Guru

In a nutshell, why is it that Tn whiskey (JD) rules the export market?

Consistent marketing, I presume, made possible by long ownership and production in the same hands.

Guru

IMHO, the reason is Jack Daniels (Brown Forman) marketing. The ads are subtle and laid back, but ubiquitous. They have created an image that customers want to buy in to.

Tim

Guru

... an image that customers want to buy in to.
    Yep. At least that's how they got me. I drank the stuff, albeit infrequently, for 30 years. The image and an early, bad experience with bourbon are the only reasons I can think of. (A distillery tour about 25 years ago still lives vividly in my memory.)

I can still drink Gentleman Jack and JD Single Barrel, but I actually dumped the remainder of a bottle of No. 7 a few months ago. I reached that decision only after failing to finish a single pour on half a dozen occasions.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I truly believe Jack Daniels and even JD Single Barrel would benefit greatly from a few more years aging. While the astringency of Jack Daniels suits mixing with cola and other soft drinks, we here in Bourbonia who like to take whiskey neat or with a little water or ice need often a heavier-bodied, more aged taste to satisfy the palate. The JD Single by virtue of being unmingled and higher proof is a good dram. I think it would be much better at, say, 8-10 years old. It surprises me the company does not offer an older whiskey as a line extension: imagine a Jack Daniels confected along the lines of the same company's superb Birthday Bourbon (so it is not as if they don't know how to do it). Old photos of Jack Daniels bottles show that at one time fairly long-aged Jacks were available. I have mentioned a photo in a Michael Jackson book of a 21 year old Jack Daniels. I believe all current iterations of Jack issue at about 5-6 years old. Great whiskey needs to be older that, in my view. Jack is a fine and distinctive product but it can't claim to be a gustatory classic along the lines of Birthday Bourbon, Weller Centennial, the Van Winkle whiskeys or other such luxury drinks often discussed on these boards.

Gary

Enthusiast

I actually dumped the remainder of a bottle
    DSOB, don't dump it, no matter how bad. Just put it to use in the kitchen. works well in dessert sauces, marinades, BBQ recipes, etc.

Connoisseur

DSOB, don't dump it, no matter how bad. Just put it to use in the kitchen. works well in dessert sauces, marinades, BBQ recipes, etc.
    Seriously!? I've always used the same philosophy with distilled spirits that you're supposed to use with wine: don't cook with it if you wouldn't drink it.

Enthusiast

Hey, is JD all that bad for, say, Spaghetti sauce?