Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Price check..Elmer T. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    The only bottles I've actually seen in TX in the last year were commemorative at $34.99 (and very few of those).
    specs lists it her $32.99, and Total Wine for $28.99, but it's always out of stock.
    And old friend used to sell fiberglass insulation by the train car load to industrial clients. He gave his best price to a customer who said the competition had it for less. "Buy it from him," he said. "I would," said the customer, "but he's out of stock."
    "Why didn't you say so?" replied my friend. "When I don't have it, I sell it for ten cents."
    I, too, have taken advantage of Total Wines' great prices on bourbon they did not have.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Given all the variation of local taxes, laws, and distribution rules, these sorts of thread provide little meaningufl information.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

It's been my experience that regardless of said variables you should expect no more than ~$10 difference in shelf prices in the con-US. So, I would argue that threads like this are invaluable to a bourbon newbie who sees that a local store just stocked some ETL at $60 each.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

So, it sounds like ETL can be had for $30-35 + taxes + any distributor/retailer imposed mark-up.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Virtuoso

I'll sell you a UFO for $35, 'cause they're damn more UFO sighting in KY at the present than there are ETL sightings!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Runs at $95 down here in Australia.... and that's from our largest nationwide retailer. It goes up by around 10% everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    So, it sounds like ETL can be had for $30-35 + taxes + any distributor/retailer imposed mark-up.
    That's pretty much about the average costs that I've seen here (when it's available) and on my recent travels. Maybe broaden the range just a bit though. I'd go with $26-$39, with $35 being pretty much the normal average cost.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Apprentice

I'm assuming I missed the ETL commemorative release in Texas due to being out of the country. Just before leaving I picked up the last Twin Liquors had at what was about $32 each if buying two or more.
    The place on South Lamar at Bluebonnet had commemorative, $60 and change. I kept being polite on the phone as he explain it was "extremely allocated". Mentioning in case anyone is looking for a liquor store to avoid. Let the hipsters have it at that price.
    Neither of the big chains in Austin ever had it as far as I can tell. No luck in Dallas two weeks ago. Didn't see in at the big downtown Houston store three weeks ago.

Virtuoso

Within the range and even better, in stock!!
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    I'm assuming I missed the ETL commemorative release in Texas due to being out of the country. Just before leaving I picked up the last Twin Liquors had at what was about $32 each if buying two or more.
    The place on South Lamar at Bluebonnet had commemorative, $60 and change. I kept being polite on the phone as he explain it was "extremely allocated". Mentioning in case anyone is looking for a liquor store to avoid. Let the hipsters have it at that price.
    Neither of the big chains in Austin ever had it as far as I can tell. No luck in Dallas two weeks ago. Didn't see in at the big downtown Houston store three weeks ago.
    Yes, I think you missed it. It seemed to pop up around Houston in June/July.

But rule number one with the timing of whiskey releases is that there ARE no rules for the timing of whiskey releases!