Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from DC

Apprentice

Hello from DC

Hi all!

I've been getting into bourbon slowly over the last few years, and recently, have really gotten significantly more interested in learning more about the process, the distillers, bottlers, etc., and from what I've read so far here, this seems to be one of the best places to learn!

As far as what I enjoy drinking, so far I tend to like what I've had from the Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and Willett lines, but certainly am looking for other suggestions/recommendations!

Virtuoso

Re: Hello from DC

Welcome from KY. It appears that you have made a nice start, as most will agree that BT, 4R and Willett are all providing some fine drinking.

You'll find that there are plenty of fine folks here and the knowledge of our esteemed board members is legendary, so if you spend a little time reading here it will be time well spent.

Don't hesitate to ask questions and chime in. Most importantly, have fun!

Guru

Perhaps more notorious than legendary but we do pass a good time talking about this stuff and you've welcome to join in.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome to 'the board', agrant77! ...From SE Michigan.
    Paddy is right; "most importantly: Have FUN!!!"
    Fun is almost a guarantee, if Bourbon is your avocation, and SB.com is your forum.
    Join in with your questions, comments, experiences, etc. The more you play, the more FUN you'll have.

Connoisseur

Welcome, agrant77. You came to the right place for learning. Be sure to browse the older and archived threads, too, as they contain a lot of history, tasting notes, and comments on house styles - that is, the styles each of the major distillers are known for. I know there are a few "these are typical" and "try these" lists in there. FWIW, what I can't find in WashDC can sometimes be found in Montgomery County MD stores or even in Virginia ABC Stores so don't despair if your closest stores don't have what you want.

Connoisseur

Welome from Texas, Agrant.

Apprentice

Thanks everyone! and thanks for the advice re: Montgomery County, as I haven't ventured much up that way looking for bottles.

Connoisseur

Welcome from Maryland! This area could be worse for bourbon, and the Scottish whisky selection on the MD side is excellent if you happen to be into that as well. Plenty of Four Roses private barrels to be found in the area, too.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Just two words: pikesville rye. You have it! And the bowman expressions.

Apprentice

Awesome, thanks! Hadn't heard of Pikesville Rye before, but will certainly pick up a bottle to try. Also good to know that plenty of the 4R private barrels can be found.