Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 9/14: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Well, I had a few bourbons all lined up as potential BOTM's. All were bourbons that had been the BOTM before, but not in quite a while. Then I got to noticing sumpthin'. There are 1,221 posts in the ECBP thread, and it hasn't been the BOTM yet. My bad folks. So………………Voila! The BOTM for this month is Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

My two cents here FWIW, and really only two cents this time. I've tasted ECBP from two or three different batches. I'm sorry to say that it's just not my cup of tea, but I can definitely understand why a lot of folks here sing its praises. So let's hear it. Whadaya all have to say about ECBP?

Cheers, Happy September, and have fun posting!

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 9/14: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Count me among those who find EC BP not only tasty but a great value. I get lots of coffee and chocolate as well as the usual bourbony flavors. And it is so rich and thick you can think of it as bourbon concentrate. Shared some neat with a friend the other night. Because he had not had it before, I cautioned him to sip carefully. Just because it says EC 12 on the label doesn't mean it can be treated casually. My local bourbon merchant has instructions to call whenever it is in stock.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

[QUOTE=Flyfish;438100]Count me among those who find EC BP not only tasty but a great value. I get lots of coffee and chocolate as well as the usual bourbony flavors. And it is so rich and thick you can think of it as bourbon concentrate. Shared some neat with a friend the other night. Because he had not had it before, I cautioned him to sip carefully. Just because it says EC 12 on the label

^What he said^!

I'd say it was the best new release of the past few years. I mean, HH just gave us exactly what most of us dream of....a fully aged, barrel proof bomb, chocked full of flavor, complex in character... oh, and with a initial release price of under $50!

We should be so lucky that this was not a dream! Oh wait, it wasn't.

Connoisseur

UOTE=Paddy;438109]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Count me among those who find EC BP not only tasty but a great value. I get lots of coffee and chocolate as well as the usual bourbony flavors. And it is so rich and thick you can think of it as bourbon concentrate. Shared some neat with a friend the other night. Because he had not had it before, I cautioned him to sip carefully. Just because it says EC 12 on the label

^What he said^!

I'd say it was the best new release of the past few years. I mean, HH just gave us exactly what most of us dream of....a fully aged, barrel proof bomb, chocked full of flavor, complex in character... oh, and with a initial release price of under $50!

We should be so lucky that this was not a dream! Oh wait, it wasn't.
    ^What he said^!

Fabulous, well matured HH profile in barrel strength at a very reasonable price. As much as I love this whiskey straight up, I find myself more often than not, cutting it 1:1 with EC12. This cuts the proof to 114-115, and more drinkable for me.

**and Joe, starting the September thread in August! !
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    **and Joe, starting the September thread in August! !
    Had the grandkids over all day yesterday. Got my days mixed up. That's why I'm early.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

I'm curious as to what the fox has to say about ECBP ;-)

Enthusiast

Love this stuff. I always remarked about how good EC12 was but how much better it would be if they offered it at 100+ proof. Well, my prayers were answered. I don't think it is as stellar as much as the rest of the LE stuff, but it is, IMO, the best value in bourbon. What sets this one apart is that it is rich. One of the richest I have had and that usually means I can only have 1 pour and I am satisfied.

Virtuoso

I got a bottle from the first batch, way back when. I thought it was pretty good and a bargain for what I paid for it. In the end, though, it didn't blow me away. But that may have something to do with the fact that I cannot stand regular Elijah Craig 12. I like most everything else from HH. But EC12 just has a floral component to my taste that I don't care for.

Connoisseur

When I first came into ECBP it was in the context of glowing reviews, the thrill of finding a hard to limited release, and high expectations. Given that build up, I was slightly disappointed at first. It had an earthy note for me (which I've since come to realize that some might call woody) and was super rich to the point of almost being too much. I knew it was different, but was having a hard time truly appreciating it. This was early in my bourbon journey so I wasn't yet equipped to "get" this one. Many months later with a more experienced and developed palate, I find this to truly be one of the greats. With just the right amount of water added to bring into balance (for me) it is one of the finest and most complex pours on my shelf.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    We should be so lucky that this was not a dream!
    It is still a dream for most. I have never seen one on a shelf.