Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 9/14: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

I like most of the HH brands. The regular EC 12 I think is just ok. Sometimes it seems a little too woody to me. I wouldn't mind trying some of the private barrel selections. ECBP on the other hand, I think is really great. I found one on the shelf a while back. I looked a long time to find another. I passed on one that was double the regular price. I found another recently. I just happened to be in a store that just got items in and hadn't even unloaded the boxes. I feel like not opening it until I find another. It seems to me that most stores only get a couple bottles in at a time, and that's not very often. To my tastes, ECBP is one of the best bourbons in production. I declined signing up for the VW waiting lists. I don't even think about the BTAC anymore. The hunt for ECBP is on!

Connoisseur

I LOVE ECBP! If I could find more of it, I'd bunker a couple cases, which would last a good long while, since it is so satisfying in slow tiny sips. In fact, that's the only way I truly enjoy it neat. It's tooooooo much to drink neat, except slowly, with a lot of time between those tiny sips. I get way more cocoa/chocolate in ECBP than any other Bourbon. That doesn't automatically make it a fave (though I am a known chocoholic); but it doesn't hurt it. It has a rich, thick mouthfeel, full body, and long warm finish. Not to mention the really FULL flavor and broad aroma. All this makes it among the best for my money to be had. The price/value ratio on ECBP is one of the best out there, in quite a long time. All this is just One Man's Opinion; (mine!) of course.

Guru

A shared opinion apparently.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I'm curious as to what the fox has to say about ECBP ;-)

the Fox agrees with fishnbowljoe....its just not my cup 'o tea (or, bourbon). Ive only had batch two, though it left such a negative impression on me that Ive not bothered to even try to look for any of the subsuquent batches. Id try it again if I see it in a bar sometime, but Im not tracking one down again. That said, it is a mesmerizingly beautiful color!
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Guru

ECBP was the first label I truly "bunkered". It totally blew me away from my first pour from the bottle. I've always been a fan of barrel proofers, but this immediately made my mind drift to GTS rather than Bookers. Just a glorious, big, chewy bourbon. At first blush I wasn't sure if I didn't like this MORE than GTS - and when you factor in the price (I paid $39 for the first three bottles I bought), what more could I ask for! After blind tasting several batches, while they are all a bit different, I haven't found any to be less than awesome - and am pumped that it is being released with some regularity.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Have not had the pleasure of trying the EC barrel proof. Don't think I have seen it in these parts of CT. But, will look around and see if I can scrounge up a bottle.
    Gary M.

“There is no bad whiskey. There are only some whiskeys that aren’t as good as others.” Raymond Chandler

Taster

Doing a side by side tasting of stagg jr. vs ECBP. ECBP clear winner. Much more complex and richer flavors.
    "I went with what I want to drink"

Apprentice

Just found my first bottle this weekend. Actually was offered a bottle when the store first got the shipment in early August and passed since I had just made another purchase. I kicked myself after and looked for several weeks to no avail and finally this weekend went to the first store I saw it at and found a lonely bottle hiding in the back of the bottom shelf. Sorry to whomever was hiding it there for later but I couldn't turn it down twice. Haven't opened it yet but moved it to the from of the next to open list! Definitely looking forward to it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoo View Post
    Doing a side by side tasting of stagg jr. vs ECBP. ECBP clear winner. Much more complex and richer flavors.
    Totally agree. I've not had Stagg Jr. Batch 2, which I've heard was a noticeable improvement... but Batch 1 vs ECBP Batch 2 was complete domination.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Auracom View Post
    Stagg Jr. Batch 1 vs ECBP Batch 2 was complete domination.
    mental note....dont ever try stagg jr batch 1
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.