Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: BOTM 9/14: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

If I were given the opportunity to play Max Shapira of Heaven Hill for a day, and could make any decision I wanted (knowing that it would benefit me when I went back to sellin' plastic), I would have created and released this very bourbon. And seeing the brilliance of my creation, if HH were to invite me back for another round of Play Max for a Day, I'd next come up with "10yr Old Fitzgerald Barrel Proof"...

Heaven Hill couldn't have given the enthusiast bourbon community a better release had they walked into the Gazebo on a Saturday night during KBF and asked the group to design their dream whiskey.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

If I could run HH for a day, we'd see Old Fitz BIB with an 8 year age statement, and barrel proof Old Fitz 12. To echo some of the other comparisons of ECBP vs. Stagg Jr. I have tried both. Since then, I have passed up Stagg Jr. at MSRP many times. Any ECBP at regular price was and will not be left behind. I think as far as barrel proofers go; Stagg Jr. and Knob SB are both ok, and worth trying. The ECBP just has a lot more going on as far as texture and flavor.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    If I could run HH for a day
    Everything would be cask strength.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I like most of the HH brands. The regular EC 12 I think is just ok. Sometimes it seems a little too woody to me. I wouldn't mind trying some of the private barrel selections. ECBP on the other hand, I think is really great.
    This sums up my feelings very nicely.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Guru

I bet a 25/75 of ECBP and HH6BIB would make a nice drink.....
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Apprentice

I was absolutely thrilled to find two bottles of dump 5 on the shelf on Cleveland yesterday for $45 each, my first ECBP. I'm relatively new here and am looking forward to participating in my first BOTM with this bourbon

Enthusiast

Damn, damn, damn, damn! Literally all of my bottles of ECBP have been packed away in preparation of selling my current house and buying a new one. Worse, they are all in my dads wine cellar!

This was my first bunkered bourbon. Found a batch 3 and was just blown away. Thanks to a friendly SB member I found a couple more. I've been lucky enough to find a couple of batch 4 bottles as well. Just everything good about EC12 writ large. Wonderful!
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I'd next come up with "10yr Old Fitzgerald Barrel Proof"...
    Where do we phone in our votes on this year's season of American Idol (Distillery Edition)? That would be amazing!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    "10yr Old Fitzgerald Barrel Proof"
    That's what the 2010 PHC was, right? It would be great if they made that a regular release!
    Andrew

Connoisseur

I still haven't tried anything other than Batch 1. I bought several bottles, and I love it, but it's going to last a while.